TechSpot

Google will begin warning users of state-sponsored attacks

By Leeky
Jun 6, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Internet search giant Google has announced it will begin alerting Gmail users if they are being subjected to what it calls "suspected state-sponsored" attacks as well as offering advice on...

Read the whole story

2. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TS Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

With China and Russia topping the list, can we see the whole list of suspected countries accused of this type of attack?

3. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 1,324   +711

Why only state-sponsored? Why not warnings about <b>all</b> email tampering attempts, zero-day outbreaks, etc? I smell politicking at work.

4. In reality, U.S. Citizens accounts are more likely to be compromised by by U.S. Federal forces, unconstitutionally, than they are being compromised by outside forces... True Story...

5. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 3,797   +116

Tygerstrike,

Attacks originate from, or are accused of originating from China and Russia in the majority of these situations -- That isn't to say other attacks don't originate from other sources. I was just giving two examples.

My point was acknowledging that fact. While the statistics no doubt exist, the comments were not made with them in mind, but instead with the general consensus that it's often the case.

6. TJGeezer

TJGeezer TS Enthusiast Posts: 385   +10

Unconstitutionally? What constitution? You mean the "goddam piece of paper" (Dubya's words) that has now been replaced by a Supreme Court majority that canceled an election to appoint a coke- and religion-addled rich boy as president and that reassigned the Bill of Rights to corporations?

7. Sounds like Google will be warning US & EU agents and/or persons working for such in various states of special interest for the former parties, that they are being targetted by the intelligence services of their states of residence. No need to be into rocket science to figure out that they mean Iran, Syria, Turkey, China, Taiwan, Korea, Jordan, Egypt, Greece, Cyprus, Italy and Spain, in that order.