TechSpot

Google will not label games filled with in-app purchases as free anymore

By Justin Kahn
Jul 18, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Following outrage among parents, the EU asked both Google and Apple to implement changes to the way apps are sold. The issue was mainly regarding free apps that are loaded with in-app purchases and those that can lure children into...

Read more

2. m4a4

m4a4 TS Guru Posts: 752   +273

I thought they both have a password wall for in-app-purchases? I know with my android, I needed to put a password in the first time to buy something in-app (then it was "unlocked" for 30 mins)...

3. Scshadow

Scshadow TS Guru Posts: 469   +97

I'm glad free and freemium will now be classified into separate categories. These gaming companies know that getting a user to install their app is half the battle. Anything to make consumers think twice about downloading microtransaction riddled applications is a step towards discouraging it altogether.

cliffordcooley likes this.
  4. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 860   +340

If you have any game made by Gameloft you can see that their games are almost impossible to beat because you need to spend like $1000 on boosts. I recently installed Asphalt 8, which is a free game and I instantly got stabbed in the eyes by a $100 car pack which includes just 4 cars of 62. You can't even start a race if you don't have a specific car which costs a lot and some of them can only be bought by real money. This can surely help avoiding those games.

5. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,324   +136

There's nothing I hate more than finding a decent "free" game just to find out that not only does it have advertisements but also you cannot experience the entire game unless you purchase something.

I hate these games and instantly uninstall them whether I loved the concept of the game or not. I'd rather pay a few bucks to unlock the entire game and still view advertisements than to miss out on a good game because it's a pay to play game.

Technically these games were never free and should never have been labeled as such... but I guess that's just an opinion. I'm just glad that I'm not the only one who thought so. Thank you angry parents!

6. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,180   +73

I bought the game when it was $1, and was able to do quite a bit of racing without paying anything. It's true that for some things you need specific cars, but you can enjoy the game enough without this, IMO.

7. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

It technically makes sense... it isn't really "free". I think it is a good move.

8. So not only you bought the freaking game BUT you get the fun of also in-app purchases to enjoy it?? That's something I hate!

If I payed for the efing game I want it to be full and free of future charges!