Google X to eliminate screen bezels with Lego-like connectible displays

By Shawn Knight
Oct 3, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Google's laboratory for moonshot projects like Internet-beaming balloons and self-driving cars is reportedly hard at work on creating a display that could connect to other similar screens like Legos to create a much larger, seamless image.

Read more
  2. UmbrellaCorpCIO

UmbrellaCorpCIO TS Rookie

It's about time.
  3. Radient

Radient TS Rookie Posts: 43

Google seemes t be leading in everything
    robertocarlus likes this.
  4. So, I can buy 32" screen 21:9 boxset, then buy the blocks to upgrade to a 42" ?
  5. Really, stitching images together across a screen is a challenge? It's called a videowall in the industry. Check out PRYSM dot com if you want to see state of the art displays of this nature. And oh by the way... I believe I once saw a screen like Prysm's at Google!
  6. Railman

Railman TS Booster Posts: 708   +101

The Prysm video-wall is very impressive but from reading the article Google are working on a modular version in which the monitors can connected together in any configuration. I do think the article is light on detail but I suspect this is due to this being a press article rather than a case of investigative journalism. It would have been useful to know how large the modular screens are and just how visible the joins are.
  7. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Posts: 1,154   +197

The prysm video wall has very thin bezels. I presume google are working on a completely edge to edge screen.
  8. Wrong spelling.

The project is being led by former Massachusetts Institute of Technology processor Mary Lou Jepsen
  9. Bubbajim

Bubbajim TS Addict Posts: 135   +50

Reading technological typos really hertz my brain.