TechSpot

Google's ambitious Internet balloons soar above New Zealand

By learninmypc
Jun 15, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. CHRISTCHURCH, New Zealand Wrinkled and skinny at first, the translucent, jellyfish-shaped balloons that Google released this week from a frozen field in the heart of New Zealand's South Island hardened into shiny pumpkins as they rose into the blue winter skies above Lake Tekapo, passing the first big test of a lofty goal to get the entire planet online.http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162...ous-internet-balloons-soar-above-new-zealand/

2. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,473   +622

I saw this mentioned somewhere. It's uhh... pretty worrying if they're sending out wifi from the balloons. :(

3. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 5,310   +238

4. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,473   +622

Yeah, that's your link. I had a quick read.

Somewhere else (I'm not really trusting it, some silly 'breaking news' RSS feed in a club :D ) said that the balloons themselves send out wifi. Your article mentions customers requiring specific 'boxes' to make it work, which is still kind of sketchy.

Imagine the radiation!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.