Google's new content security aims to protect you from malicious Gmail extensions

By Justin Kahn
Dec 17, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. There are many extensions available for Chrome and specifically those for Gmail, and while Google has always done its best to ensure malicious add-ons don't become widespread, they are certainly out there. Over the last year, the company has taken...

Read more
  2. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 1,512   +675

Been using gMail for a long time and of all the services out there, they have had better reliability than any others I've seen or used. Any improvement is always welcome ....
  3. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,462   +1,760

Google has a new trick with their, "spam detection algorithms". They just put the spam in your inbox under the "promotions" tab, and then when you check your spam folder, they boldly announce, "hooray, no spam here"!

I don't have a problems with extensions for Chrome or Gmail.

I use Firefox instead of Chrome, and don't add any extensions to Gmail. Problem solved, without Google being able to take a bow for, "helping me out".
  4. In my experience running my own IT maintenance company, I've found Google Chrome to be infinitely worse than IE for allowing itself to be attacked by malicious extensions. I've lost count of how many times I have had to reset Chrome for my clients in an effort to get clean it up. It is not a good indictment on Google when IE beats it in the security stakes.

In my opinion, Firefox is by no means infallible but it still beats IE and Chrome when talking security. Google Chrome has mainly found it's way onto computers via 'stealth' through the 'opt out' method used in Adobe updates etc which makes me suspicious of their true motives. People are impressed with it's speed over IE and Firefox but their methods of deployment are questionable.
  5. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,462   +1,760

Since I wouldn't be caught dead with Chrome on my computer, I'd appreciate you confirmation or denial of these facts. I understand Chrome gets it's speed by running multiple processes, and using huge chunks of memory. Is this true? In essence, it hijacks your computer. (To one degree or another).