TechSpot

Google's standalone Messenger app aims to offer users more choice

1. Nearly an year after Google updated its Hangouts Android app with support for SMS and MMS messages, the company has released a new, standalone messaging app for its mobile operating system. Dubbed Messenger, the app is compatible with Android devices...

Read more

2. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,519   +2,062

I'll take a look at it but I'm sure I won't be ditching WhatsApp for it.

3. baN893

baN893 TS Enthusiast Posts: 83   +10

Downloading right now. Not a fan of the Hangouts app, plus most people I use Hangouts with are those that don't have WhatsApp. It would be nice if I could use just Messenger and WhatsApp, but I'll still get the odd message on Hangouts, I know it.

4. Rippleman

Rippleman TS Guru Posts: 563   +178

Most not be available for Canada since not in the play store for me, anyone have the apk?

5. t3chn0vamp

t3chn0vamp TS Booster Posts: 128   +19

Downloaded it just now. UI is pretty nice and smooth. Options are almost the same any texting app would have. Overall a good texting app.

6. t3chn0vamp

If I am not wrong, Its a texting app for sms and mms only not for online conversations like WhatsApp and Hike.

7. Like Hangouts, it displays day of the week instead of date for messages from no more than a week ago. Very inconvenient.

8. danny22

danny22 TS Rookie Posts: 16   +9

Just what the Play Store needed another messaging app.

Gr8 innovation Google bravo.

9. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,915   +537

you can also sent normal messages as far as I know

10. matrix86

matrix86 TS Guru Posts: 813   +26

Um, normal messages are the same thing as SMS, lol.

11. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 2,920   +627

This isn't actually a new product. It's just the Android L upgrade and material-design-makeover of the existing SMS messaging app that came standard with ICS - the green smiley one. It's now on Play Store for people to get a 'stock-Android' experience with, and just adds to the Gmail/Calendar/etc apps making their way to Play Store.

Skidmarksdeluxe likes this.
  12. t3chn0vamp

That's exactly what I meant by SMS. :p

13. Skidmarksdeluxe

I suppose you can send normal messages with any messaging app, you don't always have to send fancy ones :p I've checked it out and it looks like a replacement for the standard messaging app that comes bundled with all mobile devices but I don't know if it uses mobile/wifi data or call time yet. If it uses your call time then it makes no sense to me.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  14. Skidmarksdeluxe

Yeah it doesn't look like anything special to me, just a standard sms messenger replacement.