GoPro will relaunch its faulty Karma drone later this year

Julio Franco

Staff member

Cast your mind back to November and you may recollect that GoPro had no choice but to put safety first and recall all units of its much-anticipated Karma drone while it investigated a small number of reports of power failure during operation.

After almost two months, the company has finally spoken out on the matter, revealing that it's close to concluding its investigation and will announce the details surrounding the device's worldwide relaunch sometime in early February.

While it's great to hear that the Karma will be hitting the shelves again soon, if the effect of the Galaxy Note 7 debacle on Samsung's reputation is anything to go by, it's likely that GoPro will now be recognized as an unreliable drone manufacturer by both prospective and former customers.

That said, it's unlikely that the Karma's power issues will tarnish GoPro's stellar action video stature. The firm still remains, without a doubt, the go-to brand for dependable rugged, versatile action camcorders -- and it doesn't look like that's going to change anytime soon.

Permalink to story.

No wonder Go Pro's stock went in the shitter.

I'd be happier with them if they developed a good pair of 1080p 60FPS or 4K glasses that could record to an SD Card and had digital image stabilization.

Building drones is better left to the pros. Phantom for example may cost $500 or more, but there's no denying how much better a drone it is if aerial photography is your thing.

As far as Drones go, I want an RTF drone with a POV goggle system so I can fly it from my goggles using FPV.

I love the video .... he used every word I would have used! I must admit I am a bit perplexed why anyone would want audio on a drone since 80% of what you hear is those damn little motors wirring away. Better to use that bit of power towards the longevity of flight and dub in your own music, voice over, etc. during editing. Of course, if they do that we will miss all those little gems uttered by the operator!

Back