GPU Cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi yall.
I want to buy a GPU cooler for my 6800 Ultra, a Zalman VF 900-Cu.
The last time I tried to mount a cooler on my GPU (of a XFX 5900 XT),I f-ed up
while trying to remove the RAM coolingblocks. I broke a piece off one of the memorychips and pissed myself off in a major way!
Can anyone tell me if there is a "easy" way to do this?!
THX.
Wacky.

I recently installed a VF700CU. It looks very similar to the new VF900CU, and the instructions are similar, if not identical.

Anyway, I'm not sure which manufacturer your 6800Ultra is, but I'll just assume all 6800ultras are similar.

Anyway, there doesn't seem to be anything attached to the ram. Just the huge CPU heatsink extended to reach the ram.

Just be gentle, it should come off easily, maybe a little twist may do the trick. If you need to twist as hard as a new bottle of Coke, you're twisting too hard, and probably forgot to remove something else.

Thx for the tip.
My card is from Aureolus which is AOpen.
The thermal tape stuck to the RAM cooler on my 5900XT had gone rockhard from the heat.I guess the older the card the harder it will be to get off.
I must say i was stupid enough to use a screwdriver instead of triing to twist it off with a pair of pliers.
See ya .
Wacky.

Wow....

My first rule of tinkering with computer parts: do not force things. They should just work. If they don't, you're doing it wrong.

But then again, if all fails.... :D

forgot to mention, it should come off by hand, there's no need to use a pair of pliers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back