fx 4100 4.53ghz
amd r9 270
corsair 600w gs600 gaming series psu
ocz vertex 3 90gb boot drive
240gb samsung 840 ssd
500 gb seagate hdd
1866mhz kingston hyperx ram
asus sabertooth fx990 r2.0
so my issue is this. I can overclock the r9 just fine, run benchmarks and whatnot. everything runs stable. I have clocked it as far as 1100 core and 1600 memory. everything ran stable on heaven and 3dmark vantage and things like msi kombustor to check for stability. as soon as I went into a game, it went bsod. so I figured ok. oc too high. I dropped it abit, tried again. same result. I continued reducing the core and memory till it went down to stock, and then it runs stable. any increase in core or memory by even 1 mhz, will cause it to crash in game. drivers are all up to date, bios, things like that all up to date. any suggestions as to why games don't like it? its multiple games as well. me1, 2, 3, swtor, wow etc. thanks

Well if the overclock if causing the issue, chances are it can seem stable but then turn out to not be because a certain area is stressed more than on benchmarks or other games. Normally I would suggest working on bumping up the core clock first before memory and then checking stability because thats the easiest part to focus on at first. Memory can cause distortions and other issues like a BSOD just because you stressed it just enough to cause an issue.

Try moving just the core clocks and voltage up first, then work on the memory once you have that stable.

I have the older equivalent of that card (AMD Radeon HD 7870) and have a pretty decent overclock on it right now. 1155 / 1400 (this is not max stable, this is my daily running stable)
A couple things to start:
Uninstall graphics drivers completely and re-install (could be a bad install - I have had that happen once or twice);
Maybe try the beta drivers (that is what I am running right now);
Set your Power Limit to +20% - this will help;
Keep an eye on the temps - If you have to manually set the fan speed to a higher RPM then do so to make sure that you stay in a comfortable range (I do this for most graphic intense games)

Ghost is spot on, you should start with core clocks and voltages first, then move to the memory. Try upping the voltage a little and then give it another whirl with a slightly bumped core speed. Don't overclock more then 25 at a time (example: 1000 to 1025) for best results.

Let us know what you do and we will keep helping as much as we can.

I am at work until this evening but I will try that tonight. That's how I did it to begin with was core first then memory. It just would not let me oc the card at all with even just the core alone by any amount. I will uninstall the drivers and reinstall and then try again. The fan I set to manual as soon as I got it because the low temp speed was too high/loud and the high wasnt high enough lol. So that's already taken care of. Once I make the changes and try again I will.post back. Thanks for both of your responses.

Well so far so good. I have the core up to 1050 in benchmarks and in all my games with no issues. Did not try ocing the memory yet so it is stock at 1400. I will try that tonight. But at least the core went up stable now. I will post back if I have any other issues but things seem to be resolved so thanks a bunch to you both

Just wanted to say one last time that I appreciate the help you 2 gave. gpu is overclocked and everything is running great. Thanks

Back