GPU pick for new build help needed

I would go for GTX 460 and then get another in the future when the price comes down.

the GTX 295 is a dual GPU card, it will get you better FPS @ DX 10 or below. so...
you need to decide:

1)what Resolution you want to game at
2)what level of detail you want to game at
3)If DX 11 is an important feature for you, if it is, then the GTX 460 is the obvious choice.
4) you gave no info on your system, but there is a fighting chance that with the 295, you will need a PSU upgrade...it uses a lot of power.

The 295 will be faster - but you'll have higher power requirements and temperatures and ... adding a second 295 will probably be much more difficult in the future than another 460. You'll also lose DX11 support which includes tessellation. Most of the games that feature tessellation don't run too well on the current cards that support it though - especially not at higher resolutions.

ok so i have an 700 wat psu cooler master
i will be gaming at 1920 x 1080

i have a i5 750 at 4 ghz
8 gb of ram
msi p55 gd 65
4 1tb hard drives

the adoption rate of DX 11 is happening much faster than DX 10 and there are a number of titles that use dx 11 already, Stalker,Metro 2033,Dirt2,Alein vs Predator,ect and I believe Crysis2 will be using it. so yes it appears that most major titles will be using DX 11.

Newegg had a "toofa" sale on the 460s the other day, I think it was toofa a tad under 4 hundred.

Sorry, I always forget about the "Ireland" thing.

Back