GPU Pricing Update, May 2022: Buy Now or Wait for Next-Gen?

Not sure why "wait" is even an option: Under normal circumstances it's still 1 to 2 months after the official launch before you can even get a brand new GPU unless you do something silly like waiting all night outside a microcenter.

But right now? Nvidia will probably won't have sufficient numbers for prices even resembling MSRP plus a 20% premium or so for at the very least 6 months but more likely a full year. So unless your current system can carry you well into 2023 maybe even second half of 2023 then you can very safely buy whatever it is you need today.

If you already have a 3080, 3090 or 3090Ti, I see no reason necessary to upgrade to the 4000 series. These games aren't very demanding.

It only makes sense if you absolutely need it and can afford it - at that point - just go right ahead and upgrade.

My take is to not buy right now unless you absolutely must. Summer is coming up and I do expect lower prices. At the same time, I also expect to see how accurate official msrp were and I doubt we‘ll see at least some at that price before the next gen launch price drops.

Of course, there are unknowns like e.g. what will happen to crypto and next gen‘s launch / availability but the official announcement with prices before availability might be a good time to get a current gen card for a good price.

Reminder that the OP GPU prices are still largely Science Fiction for the EU.

MSRP for the 6700XT was 502 EUR and the cheapest 6700XT sold in the eurozone atm is 620 EUR.

https://webprice.eu/amazon/AMD 6700 xt/

Mindfactory disagrees - their least expensive 6700XT starts at €549. Still too expensive for my taste.

If you already have a 3080, 3090 or 3090Ti, I see no reason necessary to upgrade to the 4000 series. These games aren't very demanding.

It only makes sense if you absolutely need it and can afford it - at that point - just go right ahead and upgrade.

enn5OVh.jpg

Mindfactory disagrees - their least expensive 6700XT starts at €549. Still too expensive for my taste.

Mindfactory strictly do not ship outside Germany so their pricing is irrelevant for the eurozone as a whole since EU citizens residing outside Germany cannot purchase from them as a matter of policy.

Here in the UK the cheapest 6700XT on Amazon is £528 (623 Euros, $656). I appreciate the UK is (sadly) outside the eurozone but it is indicative of prices outside the US being far higher than those shown in the article.

Mindfactory strictly do not ship outside Germany so their pricing is irrelevant for the eurozone as a whole since EU citizens residing outside Germany cannot purchase from them as a matter of policy.
Yes, but it‘s still part of the Euro zone - I was referring to your blanket statement (‚the cheapest 6700XT sold in the eurozone‘).

That said, prices certainly vary by country, sadly.

Not sure why "wait" is even an option: Under normal circumstances it's still 1 to 2 months after the official launch before you can even get a brand new GPU unless you do something silly like waiting all night outside a microcenter.

But right now? Nvidia will probably won't have sufficient numbers for prices even resembling MSRP plus a 20% premium or so for at the very least 6 months but more likely a full year. So unless your current system can carry you well into 2023 maybe even second half of 2023 then you can very safely buy whatever it is you need today.

Even if you were to wait outside of Microcenter (at least by the one near me), when Ampere and RNDA2 were hard to come by, they randomized it. Even if you were first in line, doesn't mean you'd get a chance to buy a GPU.....

I can see a similar issue happening with next gen of GPUs, like we had this time, gobbled up like a fat kid and candy. I bet that MSRPs will be higher than this gen, but by how much we don't know and once the initial "we have plenty of inventory" sells out and prices spike, folks will migrate to Ampere and RNDA2 cards, looking for new first and then used and prices will go back up on them.

I see at local seller price 560€
(and I never buy something from amazon)

Το the contrary, Amazon.de in particular is always about 10-25% cheaper than local sellers in Greece.

Cheapest 6700XT in Greece in stock and ready to ship was 667 EUR when I checked today.

Many of us have been waiting for about 3 years for a decent priced GPU. The situation seems to be getting slightly better, but it will never be as good or better than what it was before the coof, they will make sure of that. I will wait a couple of months still to see if there's any chance of things still improving and then I buy something that should last me a few years.

Lets see...

1- "interesting" thumbnail, which makes the weak minded ones believe that only Nvidia makes GPU's:
QM3ndvV.png

2- Calls the MSRP price of a 3090Ti "a bit ridiculous...but its ok".

3- Proceed to trash AMD.

4- Calls the MSRP price of a 6950 XT " egregious cash grab".

All that were just on the first 2 minutes of the video.

And that's where I stopped watching.

The sad thing? Hardware Unboxed is part of the very very few places that I would consider unbiased yet this video was not one.

I really hope that Steve doesn't do the same bs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lets see...

1- "interesting" thumbnail, which makes the weak minded ones beleive that only Nvidia makes GPU's:
QM3ndvV.png

2- Calls the MSRP price of a 3090Ti "a bit ridiculous...but its ok".

3- Proceed to trash AMD.

4- Calls the MSRP price of a 6950 XT " egregious cash grab".

This was just on the first 2 minutes.

And thats where I stopped watching.

The sad thing? Hardware Unboxed is part of the very very few places that I would consider unbiased yet this video was not one.

I really hope that Steve doesnt do the same bs.

Do yourself a favor, don't support youtube crap. I can't stand watching videos and having to listen to people that just like to hear themselves talk because they think what they have to offer is special.

Let me see the facts on paper and let me decide what is best. That's why I visit a handful of tech sites that review GPUs and I make an informed decision on what I find suits me best....not listening to someone talk about how one company is better/worse over another.

If I find a news story online that appears to interest me, if I click on it and it's just a video to watch of dribble being spewed, I'll pass. Let me read the info, compare the story to other news outlets that are reporting on the same story so I can deduce what info is relevant and what is just garbage added by each news source.

Sadly, this is what you have to do these days. You can't just rely on one place to give reliable information without putting their own spin on things or pushing their political side.

Who ever thought that the price of a GPU would be less than a tank of gas? Thanks Joe Biden, now I don't feel so bad about that GPU purchase when it cost 2X that to fill my tank.

Who ever thought that the price of a GPU would be less than a tank of gas? Thanks Joe Biden, now I don't feel so bad about that GPU purchase when it cost 2X that to fill my tank.

Biden has really blown it I guess. I mean, he even caused gasoline prices to climb even higher in the UK than in the US. I wonder how he did that.

My real concern is that there are 3 GPUs in the chart that are more expensive than the 6950 (the 3090 ti is almost double) that dont perform as well. Even now the $850 6900 more than competes.

And AMD continues to work on their 4K issues:

"Then at 4K the RTX 3090 Ti takes over, beating the 6950 XT by a 7% margin. Still the 6950 XT was just able to edge out the RTX 3090 and 3080 Ti, with a 12% boost over the 6900 XT."

Last edited:
Do yourself a favor, don't support youtube crap. I can't stand watching videos and having to listen to people that just like to hear themselves talk because they think what they have to offer is special.

Let me see the facts on paper and let me decide what is best. That's why I visit a handful of tech sites that review GPUs and I make an informed decision on what I find suits me best....not listening to someone talk about how one company is better/worse over another.

If I find a news story online that appears to interest me, if I click on it and it's just a video to watch of dribble being spewed, I'll pass. Let me read the info, compare the story to other news outlets that are reporting on the same story so I can deduce what info is relevant and what is just garbage added by each news source.

Sadly, this is what you have to do these days. You can't just rely on one place to give reliable information without putting their own spin on things or pushing their political side.
Exactly!

People like Tim, all the fakers at LTT and others, needs to be more responsible with the data they are presenting.

You cant let personal preferences over ride your judgment and how you conduct and express yourself to others that are looking at your presentation for guidance and information.

I am extremely dissapointed with this video.

My real concern is that there are 3 GPUs in the chart that are more expensive than the 6950 (the 3090 ti is almost double) that dont perform as well. Even now the $850 6900 more than competes.
Thats the whole point of my complaint.

His personal preference made him (or whoever wrote the episode), spew misinformation and doing a dis-service to potential buyers looking for guidance and information.

I mean, just look at the stupid thumbnail for f*cks sake.

The demand for GPU's will see a sharp decline in the folowing months because of the hyperinflation and incoming recession in USA, Europe and the hunger in Africa and Asia, due to the reasons you all should know by now, even if you are "just a teen" who just wants to play games. Lower demand, lower prices, unless the producers and distributors will stop playing by the rules of free market, which is not unlikely in this increasingly totalitarian World.

Wait for AMD 7000 series competition for high end and Intel Ark for low end competition. It is probably the worse time to upgrade now for almost 2 year old architecture.

Biden has really blown it I guess. I mean, he even caused gasoline prices to climb even higher in the UK than in the US. I wonder how he did that.

"
Thoughts on what Ted Cruz said about energy? Since you hate lies unless you are selective towards one side.
Also wasn't the US selling energy to Europe when we were energy independent?

Last edited:
Wait for AMD 7000 series competition for high end and Intel Ark for low end competition. It is probably the worse time to upgrade now for almost 2 year old architecture.

Thoughts on what Ted Cruz said about energy? Since you hate lies unless you are selective towards one side.
Also wasn't the US selling energy to Europe when we were energy independent?
The US has never been energy independent. The previous administration said we were. They were wrong. It was another lie they though couldn't be easily disputed.

Can you please explain how what Cruz said changes the facts I posted?
I would appreciate it.

No way I'm buying into this gen with next gen only months away. I have a Turing card so my next upgrade will need to be massive and Ampere is not big enough. Next gen a 4070 class GPU could easily handle 4K and RT and with DLSS 4060 could do the same.

But I'm more likely to jump to AMD next gen but time will tell.

Back