GPU running hot? An aftermarket air cooler could solve your problems

mongeese

Staff
Forward-looking: German hardware maker Raijintek has announced a new version of its popular Morpheus aftermarket GPU heatsink that promises to keep all but the RTX 4090 chillier than the stock cooler can. It also looks great if you enjoy the industrial aesthetic of two exposed fans strapped to a hulk of black anodized aluminum.

Raijintek rather unceremoniously announced the Morpheus 8069 through Igor's Lab this weekend after leaked photos of the cooler found their way onto the internet late last week. But it had already let Igor's Lab run some tests on an early prototype a few months ago, so it was hardly a surprise.

The Morpheus 8069 takes the opposite approach to most board partner coolers: instead of strapping more metal to the heatsink and using faster fans, it relies on thoughtful engineering and careful construction to achieve similar or better results with less material.

It weighs in at a mere 515 g (1.1 pounds) and measures up to 245 x 110 x 44 mm. For comparison, the RTX 3090 FE cooler that it was designed to replace weighs 2125 g (4.7 pounds) with the PCB and is a fair bit longer at 313 x 124 x 52 mm. The GPU has a 320W TGP, and the 8069 can dissipate up to 360W with two fans, not included.

It looks in the renders like the cooler has six heatpipes, but Raijintek promises that it has 12, each 6 mm in diameter. All of them meet at the GPU die before half of them branch out across the PCB and half wrap around over the die. Raijintek says that they could've been joined together into six pipes, but found that dividing them into shorter paths had huge advantages.

The 8069's plus-shaped nickel-coated copper base extends to cover the memory modules of all modern GPUs ensuring that they're amply cooled. Included in the box are five copper heatsinks and three smaller aluminum ones that can be glued onto any line of VRMs. Igor's Lab found that they worked well but were at risk of falling off if the GPU was installed pointing downwards. The outlet says that the risk is manageable with some knowledge about thermal pads but doesn't recommend the process to first-time builders.

Igor's Lab only briefly tested the prototype 8069 with two 125 x 25 mm case fans mounted and found that it did a good job keeping an RTX 3080 cool. After running the Furmark stress test for multiple hours, the GPU stayed at a breezy 55° C in a 24° C room and only peaked at about 70° C in a hotspot, which is a great result. Read their report for the full breakdown (in German).

I'm personally excited to see how the Morpheus 8069 performs as a passive cooler. It doesn't look like it's capable of passively cooling anything powerful while a game is running, but because its design is so open, it should be able to hold on a bit longer than other coolers can before spinning up the fans.

It will only be a week before it hits the market on November 1 and we can find out more. Raijintek is waiting until then to announce the availability and pricing, but most of their products are available globally through their partners. Newegg currently lists their older but similar Morpheus Vega for $95, so we'd imagine that the Morpheus 8069 would land in the ballpark of $150-200.

Permalink to story.

I wonder how much this would cost for a mid-range GPU to make. I can see a world where you would buy an aftermarket GPU cooler like you buy your CPU cooler. At this price, it's just going to be a niche.

I wonder how much this would cost for a mid-range GPU to make. I can see a world where you would buy an aftermarket GPU cooler like you buy your CPU cooler. At this price, it's just going to be a niche.
it's nothing new, I remember switching the stock coolers on numerous radeon 9800pro/xt and x800xt with an artic silencer ( I don't remember the exact name ) if I remember well it could also be mounted on geforce 6600/6800 stopped using those kind of thing after the X1950xt era.... good old times

it's nothing new, I remember switching the stock coolers on numerous radeon 9800pro/xt and x800xt with an artic silencer ( I don't remember the exact name ) if I remember well it could also be mounted on geforce 6600/6800 stopped using those kind of thing after the X1950xt era.... good old times

Exactly. I had a HUGE artic cooler heatsink on ATI 3000x series and GTX 9000 [so, shortly after you stopped!].

Well designed aftermarket GPU coolers are great. Even without a fan, it was better than the stock coolers (and, most noticeably, silent). With the fans it was much cooler than the stock coolers. It was MASSIVE though. About the only knock against the products during that era.

People get too hung up on the numbers, temperature-wise. CPUs and GPUs are designed to withstand, operate normally under and endure over time, high temperatures. Stability and long term dependability can still be achieved with higher temps so long as they are within the designated range. Like running a game for example a CPU temp of 60-70 and a GPU temp of 80-90 may not be ideal, but are well within range.

I'm using a Raijintek Morpheus II on a PNY GTX 1080 which came with a crap cooler and where the stock cooler (which I used for 3+ years) would run the card at 1860 MHz and 78-82C forcing me to undervolt it to keep temps below 75C, I can now OC the card to 2100 MHz and it runs at 66C tops. A very nice upgrade after years of service.

Knowing I had very good silicon underneath (won the lottery) means that the $80 I spent on the heat sink and low profile fans was worth the time and money spent. And the 3.5-slot size is not a big deal as really most cases should have this space available. I buy cheap cases and the fit is fine in this $50 CoolerMaster.

But this new design for $200? Mmm that's a little too steep.

ASUS x Noctua did it better with the 3070 and 3080 coolers. I think they might collab again for the RTX 4000 series.

I'm using a Raijintek Morpheus II on a PNY GTX 1080 which came with a crap cooler and where the stock cooler (which I used for 3+ years) would run the card at 1860 MHz and 78-82C forcing me to undervolt it to keep temps below 75C, I can now OC the card to 2100 MHz and it runs at 66C tops. A very nice upgrade after years of service.

Knowing I had very good silicon underneath (won the lottery) means that the $80 I spent on the heat sink and low profile fans was worth the time and money spent. And the 3.5-slot size is not a big deal as really most cases should have this space available. I buy cheap cases and the fit is fine in this $50 CoolerMaster.

But this new design for $200? Mmm that's a little too steep.
Rajintek's morpheus is amazing. I almost purchased it once, but it was sold out at the moment.

I had some kinda air chiller for a vidcard once. Worked well , was silent but a pain to install

I used a small cheap ID Cooling CPU HSF on a GTX 1060. Used plastic cable ties to secure the thing on the GPU.

Reason was, in furmark the temp shot up to 90 within a few seconds.
I suspected that the original heatsink didn't make proper contact to the die and I initially tried to file down parts of the heatsink that may causes this (where the heatsink made contact with components other than the GPU die). It helped somewhat but it was still reaching 90 degrees really quick.

After the mod, it can stay relatively cooler. It could be that I have a defective card (bought 2nd hand relatively cheap). But the card ran fine (no glitches when playing DOOM and other games, works well to encode videos).

I think there is a place for such products, especially for those who mod their PC.

Imgur GPU mod

I bought a 3060 ti that runs up to 80 with even higher hotspot temp. Got those old news PCI bracket for fans and two Arctic P12 fans and that brought the temp down to 66c.

Cost me like $25 and requires no disassembly nor warranty breaking shenanigans whatsoever plus it also serves as an nvme cooler. Honestly if I were to even bother getting products like this, I might as well pay a bit more for a GPU with a good heatsink in the first place. The price is so high probably because there's not a lot of people who even bother.

I had the same issue with 2060, temps in 80-83C and hot spot 98C.
I was looking for the same aftermarket cooling but after is saw the prices I decided to go for a "ghetto mod".
Removed the front and back shell since all plastic acting like a blanket. Put a spacer on top of the rad and two 92x25 Arctic PST fans. Changed thermal pads and thermal grease also.
Now my card in Furmark don't pass 65C with a hotspot of 80. In games no more than 55-58C
Custom fan curve in Afterbuner and problem solved.
All used cost like $15-18.

Native cooler should get the work done. If it doesn't, the product is bad
Native cooler is fine, just the original fans were too loud and even then cant cool the card. Only removing the plastic backplate dropped temps 4-5C.
Shlt design from Gigabyte I know, never going to buy their products.
Aorus was a good brand until recent days.

I had the same issue with 2060, temps in 80-83C and hot spot 98C.
I was looking for the same aftermarket cooling but after is saw the prices I decided to go for a "ghetto mod".
Removed the front and back shell since all plastic acting like a blanket. Put a spacer on top of the rad and two 92x25 Arctic PST fans. Changed thermal pads and thermal grease also.
Now my card in Furmark don't pass 65C with a hotspot of 80. In games no more than 55-58C
Custom fan curve in Afterbuner and problem solved.
All used cost like $15-18.

those Temps were perfectly normal you know ... this was absolutely not an "issue"

those Temps were perfectly normal you know ... this was absolutely not an "issue"
Look again at Bios image and tell me the value set for max temp for 2060.

It's 83C, when the GPU will throttle. That is not a normal temperature.

I bought a 3060 ti that runs up to 80 with even higher hotspot temp. Got those old news PCI bracket for fans and two Arctic P12 fans and that brought the temp down to 66c.

Cost me like $25 and requires no disassembly nor warranty breaking shenanigans whatsoever plus it also serves as an nvme cooler. Honestly if I were to even bother getting products like this, I might as well pay a bit more for a GPU with a good heatsink in the first place. The price is so high probably because there's not a lot of people who even bother.
Good Tip as I have an Add-in Card that needs extra cooling. Only need to be able to mount 40mm fans to it though the added airflow may help the NVME stay a bit cooler - it has a heatsink and is under the GPU so?

From gv-n2060oc-6gd TU106 bios:
Temperature limit
Minimum - 65C
Default - 83C
Maximum - 87C
Adjustment range -22% to +5%

But the GPU core start to throttle from 65C, this means anything below this will have max boost. This specific card holds 1935mhz until 65C.

Last edited:
One cooler to fit all cards? I didn't even know that was possible. Hmm, it makes me think that if I ever decide that I want better cooling on my RX 6800 XT, I'll just use the cooler from my XFX RX 5700 XT THICC-III. It's considerably larger than the reference AMD cooler on the RX 6800 XT!

Nah, I'm kidding. I bought the reference RX 6800 XT because I wanted THAT card. I'm not going to mess with it. :laughing:

Back