'Gran Turismo Sport' gets a release date, gameplay trailer

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Gran Turismo Sport, the next major release in the popular Gran Turismo racing franchise, will be released on November 15 in North America and Japan.

Publisher Sony Interactive Entertainment revealed the news earlier today in a post on the official PlayStation blog.

Sony and Polyphony Digital first unveiled the game at the annual Paris Games Week trade show last October. At the time, the two stressed that this was not Gran Turismo 7 but rather, a completely new game that’ll be more substantial than earlier Prologue releases. It’ll be a PlayStation 4 exclusive and the first Gran Turismo game for the PS4.

With today’s announcement comes a new trailer and details regarding both a pre-order bonus and a limited edition version.

Those who pre-order GT Sport will receive the 3-Car Pack which grants early access to the Ford Mustang Group B Rally Car, the Toyota FT-1 Vision GT Group 3 and the Peugeot 908 HDi FAP LMP1. Individual retailers including GameStop and Amazon are also offering their own pre-order bonuses consisting of various cars, avatars, themes and in-game credit.

The limited edition bundle, priced at $69.99, includes what Sony says is more than $130 in content including the GT Sport starter pack (eight cars), a livery sticker pack, 30 GT Sport-themed avatars, an in-game racing helmet, a limited edition steel book plus packaging and $1 million of in-game credit.

Permalink to story.

I could be mistaken, but was there a curious absence of damage modeling in that video?

Frankly, if they stick with the whole invincible vehicles gimmick they won't even make a dent in the market thanks to Project Cars.

Gt has always set the bar graphically. But personally I find it so dull to play.

I find this one quite bad in that department. Forza 6 looks amazing, even NFS Shift 2 looks better. The rubber in the wheels looks like a bad render, reflected light on the painting looks wrong, glass has an awkward reflection... materials don't look and behave as they should. The three cars shown here look so bad that they could pass for a very good amateur rendering; in the video: grass and concrete look very fake.

And I'm not hating the game or the franchise, I loved GT 3 and 4, but with racing games being the less demanding-best looking genre due to the relatively few elements and interactions on-screen at a given moment, it looks subpar to today's standards, even in console territory. Racing games now have almost photo-realistic looks and take off from there to do whatever they want --seriously, they aren't that demanding in relation to how good they look.

I could be mistaken, but was there a curious absence of damage modeling in that video?

Frankly, if they stick with the whole invincible vehicles gimmick they won't even make a dent in the market thanks to Project Cars.

GT is a household name. Get a grip.

I hold S licenses and complete gold championships in every console edition of the franchise. I have more grip with assists off than most people have with velcro in a glue factory.

If GT doesn't step it up with respect to realism it won't last against the likes of Project Cars.

Wow that was some dodgy reflection on the aston at 1:01, hope they polish things before the final release.

It looks very nice. I wouldn't mind playing it but I wouldn't waste my time or money on some wheezy, asthmatic console.

I'm Not a fanboy. Love Forza and Gran Turismo. I have every game of both. I hope G.T.S has car Damage this time.

I really hoped they would do a good job with the WEC cars, but for some reason it looks like they have just a few 2012 WEC cars which is odd! Maybe that's when they started coding this!

Also notice as it says "captured on ps4" not game play from a ps4 so lets not forget games like this are developed on pc coded for the ps4 and will never look as good as this does and I love my ps4 but project cars is for me on pc at 1440p. But that said will most likely still get this game.

Back