Graphic card wattage

Ultiweap

Hi all,

I'm on the way to buy a new graphic card for my Desktop PC but I do not know what to choose and if it will work on my PC due to the specs and the wattage. My PC is a 350 or 400W PSU and i'm interested in buying those two cards:

OEM ATI Radeon HD 4670 HM 1 GB GDDR3 PCIe Graphics Card

or

nVIDIA GeForce GT 220 1GB PCI-E HDMI DVI VGA Video Card

The problem as I say is the wattage. Can someone help me about that please?

Also if someone know another good card a best price please tell me as my finance is a little short

Thanks in advance
Ultiweap

If all you're concerned about is the power consumption, then go with the gt 200.

4670 - 400W minimum power supply

gt 220 - 350W minimum power supply

However, I'm just wondering why you would choose a card that is two generations behind when a 6670 uses about the same about of electricity, but is much more powerful, graphically. Well, it does cost about $80, but it meets your power requirements and performs MUCH better.

Yes I know about that but the fact I don't know well the cards and that it is due to my budget, but if you know the newly models and where I could buy it then let me know and send me the link please as i'm in Mauritius and finding a site that deliver here is not too easy.

Thanks in advance

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Radeon-HD66...230?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item27bc09f716

WOW you live in South Africa?! Nice! Looks very beautiful there.

But with that, there aren't very many options concerning the 6670...
http://cgi.ebay.com/XFX-HD-667X-ZHF...t=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item2eb607f9ac#shId

Shipping costs a whopping $51.

To be honest, I think your best option would be to go with your second option, the 220 gt since your shipping location is so remote. I can't find any good deals shipping there.

No it is not in South Africa but an island near Madagascar in the Indian Ocean...we can say straight bottom of India.

Ok one of the link the seller did not ship to Mauritius and the other on is too much for my budget. That's why in seeking for an older model. But if I can see one recent cheaper I will buy for sure.

Ulti, have you checked what is locally available (safer bet as well if you need to claim warranty at some point) to you? Considering the shipping costs, I would rather suggest to get what best you can get locally, and I agree with Alex that 6670 is a better choice (if it is available over there).

Hi,

I have chosen and bought an nVidia GT 220 1GB DDR3 from ebay for $56.95 shiiping included. I think it may be ok for my PSU as it only needs 350 watts. Yes but the problem is that locally the same card I would have got it at around twice the price or slightly more but yes the guarantee will be the only problem in case of technical issues with it.

Thanks a lot Archean... I just bought it on last Saturday and i'm waiting for it now, maybe in two to four weeks and hope everything will be fine.

A 1GB HD4670 would have been fine on a 300w+ PSU. I ran it with one for ages before upgrading both the PSU and the GPU and it was fine.

400w+ as a minimum is over the top in my personal opinion, when you consider its not exactly a powerhouse when compared with higher end 4xxx series offerings.

Back