Graphics cards: Does MB/GB (memory) matter?

ttgavenged

My question is I'm getting a new G. Card, do I get (examples, I haven't made a decision.)

1. A newer Radeon 6800 series with only 512mb of mem
or 2. A Older maybe 6500-6700 series with 1-2GB of ram?

The 6800 series are all at least 1GB as far as I can see.

Anyway RAM only becomes an issue at higher resolutions, 1GB is enough for 1920x1080.

Within the same generation (e.g. the HD6000 series mentioned here), you don't want to go with a lower model # card if gaming performance is what you're after. You don't want to go under the 6700 series as the rest of the cards are considerably slower. The memory size really doesn't matter seeing as how almost all modern mainstream cards feature 1GB minimum, and anything with 512MB isn't a viable gaming card. The reason you'll see some lower model # cards with fairly large amounts of RAM is because they need checklist features, it's just marketing.

If you plan on buying anything above the HD6800 series, you have nothing to worry about when it comes to specs, however, if you plan on getting an HD6750/6770, there is one area of concern: memory type. Some cheaper models of these cards come with significantly slower DDR3 instead of GDDR5. Just make sure to get the GDDR5 variant if you happen to pick one of these cards, and you'll be set.

Back