Graphics Tearing - Card Dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RX_Queen

Hello! Very sorry for the confusing post, but I would appreciate some advice.

I recently purchased a new monitor after my last one died a sudden death, and as it's larger I've had to alter my settings accordingly. At first everything was fine. But these past few days I have been getting freezes on the WoW startup screen, and today it escalated to violent flickering and a black screen. I literally cannot get in the game, and even starting it up in windowed mode doesn't seem to have made a difference.

I am no expert in these matters, although I have had a similar problem before when I received a Geforce 9800gt card as a gift, and was right in thinking it would never work with my system when it caused tearing and sudden freezes during gameplay. I instead fitted my ex's 6800gs and everthing has been great until now.

I cannot tell if it's my monitor's new settings that is putting the card under such stress, or whether my card is dying. I know I cannot fit anything much better in my system as I cannot afford to update it much.

I must sound confused, but I have to confess that I'm completely bewildered as to what to do next.

I have included a Dxdiag with this post, and I hope someone can help me figure out what to do - buy a new card, change monitor settings or start saving for a new system?

I tested the card with another game and it refused point blank to work, and for a long shot I tested it by ATITools and it failed the artifacts test miserably. I'm fairly sure now it's on its last legs. It was pretty old when I got it, so at least I got a good six month's use out of it.

I've reverted back to my old card, a Radeon X600, and it's still working, but I'd like to replace the other one if I can. The trouble I'm having is that I can't find anyone selling the exact same card, but I'm scared to buy anything else as I have no idea if it will work with my system. I can find lots of Nvidia 6800 cards, but there are so many letters added to the names that I haven't a clue what it all means.

The one I had was a Point of View 512mb 6800 gs PCI-E. The one that looks most similar is an nVidia GeFoce 6800 XT 512MB AGP 8X, but it sounds too flashy for my system. I'm still searching...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back