Graphics upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

jknight15

Iv just started upgrading my pc and i want to get my pc a better graphics card but im now stuck because graphics cards say they use a PCI or AGP slot. Iv looked inside my pc and i am unable to locate these slots, the only ones i can see are 3 white slots at the bottom and 2 black ones which is where the RAM chips go.
A guide i have read says that 'the device your moniter plugs directly into is your graphics card' the plug the moniter goes into goes straight into the motherboard, can somebody help me?

It plugs into the motherboard because you have built-in onboard graphics. The main question is if you have an AGP or PCI-Express slot for a better graphics card. From your description it doesn't sound like you have either. If so, you are limited to getting a PCI graphics card which is not all that great.

What motherboard or what brand and model PC do you have?

Its an intel pentium 4 processor, i think it runs @ 2.80 ghz, 400 mhz, 1mb cache. the white slots @ the bottom have a kind of notch on the right side of them

Ok. You gave the processor or cpu which is installed on the motherboard. I was looking for the name of the motherboard itself or the PC brand and model. If we know that, we might be able to determine what type of graphics card your motherboard can take.

I was thinking along the lines of, for example, a Dell 4500 or HP Pavilion a1330e or something. That is, if it was manufactured by a major PC company. If it's custom built, then there is no PC brand or model, just component brands and models.

Try this: download and run the free CPU-Z program in a effort to determine your motherboard name and model. Click here

right iv got the info on the motherboard, it only has PCI slots (damn) whats the best PCI graphics card i can get? eg. memory, value

If you have PCI slots, then yes that card should work assuming your power supply is strong enough to handle the upgrade. You should have around a 300w power supply.

Be forwarned though, PCI graphics cards are not very powerful, especially if you are wanting to run today's newer games. You will not be very pleased with the fx5200, however that is one of the better PCI cards you'll be able to find.

well im not looking for top end graphics for games such as battleground 2, iv currently got 64mb of graphics now and i want something a bit better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back