Great Case, 1 small? problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen79

CSE-MID-5619W.jpg

Manufacturer: EAGLETECH
Type: Aluminium Alloy MIDI Tower

I got this case last week, installed last night. Great case, BUT even when you shut the pc down, the LCD lights stay on. The only way I found to get it off it to switch it at the mains.

I take it that somone else here will have this case, as its fantastic apart from this problem.

Any advise on modding it to turn the light off? It wouldnt be so bad it it changed to back lights, but its really annoying :eek:

Which LEDs are these? Are they on the case itself or on the system board? My ASUS board has an LED on it that says whether or not it has static power.

I know what you mean. I bought a CoolDrive 3 - two of them, in fact, only to find that they glowed bright blue when on! (Actually, I would have known that if I had read the reviews properly - man, it even glows on the picture on the front of the box! ;) )

But if yours keeps on glowing unless you turn it off at the mains, that's even worse!

Glowing things are kind of cool, I just wish that they worked with the power saving features of the PC some how, so that when power saving kicked in, the glowing stopped.

Yeah where did you get it? It looks like an awesome case. Its the blue glow on the front right? Do the numbers also stay displayed when the system is off?

You could intercept the hot wire powering the LCD screen or whatever that you want to switch off. Then put a switch in and put it somewhere... you could even put it in that 2nd floppy drive space, because, why would you ever want 2 floppys... you can copy to the HD then to another disc.

Drill a hole and mount a switch... or a few for future expansion and re-route that wire there.

Good luck.

Edit: Or I may be wrong... is that 1 floppy drive? Well if it is you could take up a bay... get a fan speed controller that also has a 12V 5V and 0V switch along with 4 fan speed adjustments like this one:

13-999-251-02.JPG
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduct.asp?description=13-999-251&depa=1 You can re-route the wire to one of those two switches at the end, it should work. Besides the fact that is says FAN.

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

Yes its the LCD front panel that stays on bright blue, and not the LED's on the board lol.

I got the case from aria and it was about £65, I think it was something like £75 after vat and p&p

Yea, the panel wont go in to power saving mode, or backlight mode, a real shame. Funny thing is, no one rasied it as an issue in the reviews.

When its off, yes the time will be displayed, but it wont show the sys temp (currenly running between 32-35c on a XP2.8 atm...but has reached 45c yesterday - the case adds a lot of airflow)

I have to say, the case is far better than the image reflects. The electronic slide door is far better quality than you woul think from that picture. And yes, there is only one floppy drive bay, but I dont use it, and it loooks much better than the image again.

If the lighting system runs off 12V DC, you could wire it to a MOLEX connector and plug it in to one of your free MOLEX connectors. This would allow it to turn off when you turn off the machine, without having to turn off the main.

oooow, that sounds interesting StormBringer. I am brand spanking new to this, would you give me a little more information about how I would go about that please?

the MOLEX connectors are the 4 pin ones that connect to ur harddrives/CD/DVD-Roms etc.. Black,Yellow and Red wires. :)

k, I understand what a molex connection is now. The Light runs from the boards power. The power supply's ATX connector block plugs directly in to a custom block that in turn plugs in to the board. The wires from this block run to the front of the case where the light is sighted.

I will try and find a diagram on the net.

It uses a 3 pin connector, right? If so you can just buy a 3pin-4pin Molex converter and run it off an empty Molex plug directly from your PSU.

Ok, I can not find a diagram on the net, but I am back in front of the pc now, and have it open. Here is what it looks like:

Firstly, you have the ATX power block from your PSU which plugs in to the cases ATX modded block whick inturn plugs to the board.

The front of the case has a circuit where the power button, reset, usb, firewire, thermol etc run from to the switch pins.

Also on the end of there is a plug/jack Molex plug that has 5 pins. The leads run:

Yellow
Black
Black
Red
Black

and connect to the cases modded ATX block.

So, being a nob at this, I take it I need some kind of molex that loops through a 5 pin to a molex and back to a 5 pin. Dont even know if such thing is possible?

You guys see my post? That's kind of annoying, getting a molex connector that you have to unplug each time. Alot of times, those molex conectors are hard and hurt your fringers, now imagine doing that like every single day or perhaps more than once a day... you'll have a guitar player go whoah... mean callouses man... how long u been playin? Plus, it's hard to get into cuz you gotta open your case.

Get a switch. Switch ON, LCD on, switch OFF, LCD off.... and you're on you're way.

I meant to say being a noob at this, but still, being a nob at this ;) I need some pointers on how to achieve this guys.

Originally posted by XtR-X
You guys see my post? That's kind of annoying, getting a molex connector that you have to unplug each time. Alot of times, those molex conectors are hard and hurt your fringers, now imagine doing that like every single day or perhaps more than once a day... you'll have a guitar player go whoah... mean callouses man... how long u been playin? Plus, it's hard to get into cuz you gotta open your case.

Get a switch. Switch ON, LCD on, switch OFF, LCD off.... and you're on you're way.

XTR-X, you need to learn to read before you jump to conclusions.

When I recommended use of MOLEX, I explained that doing that would allow the lights to switch off and on with the machine. When he powers down the system, it will power them down along with the drives and fans and anythin gelse attached to those connectors. The connectors I spoke of are powered on and off with the system, they aren't "always on" as you are thinking.

"[jumping] to conclusions"... easy there buddy........... I need not say more.

I enterpret it as that he wanted to be able to turn it off even while the computer is on.

You want it to turn off with the computer, and turn on with it... I don't think that's what he means... or... Stephen... elaborate.

We both are on different tracks for the same cause, both will work...

Please, don't "jump to the conclusion of '[jumping]' to conclusions". I need not be reminded. Thank you.

no, I do want the light on when the machine is on.

I just would like it to turn off when I shut the 'puter down. Like StormBringer advised.

Only, I need some help to achieve this pls.

Stephen, in order for me(or anyone else) to help you with the wiring of this, it would be helpful if you could give us a wiring diagram, schematic, or a pic that illustrates how the lights are wired up in the case. I will also caution you that you need to have at least a general understanding of electrical wiring, operation and safety. I mention that because someone may try this in the future and fry something. If that happens, its not my fault.

Now, to begin with, you will need to check the voltage on the leads you are going to be changing to make sure they are 12v dc, if not, we'll need to go a different route(I would imagine they are 12v though)
Then post back your readings along with some sort of diagram telling us how the lights are currently wired at the connection.

**Sorry if this sounds a bit involved, I just want to make sure we are on the same page with this.

***NOTE: Electrical wiring mods should only be attempted if you have a working knowledge of AC/DC basics and take the proper safety precautions. If you do not understand and respect electrical theory and application, DO NOT attempt.***

ok, I understand. Thanks for this. I`ll install workbench and create a diagram and try and get a few photos of it also.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back