Guild Wars connection/lag problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

lookafallingroc

Hi i'm new to the forums and lately ive been having a few problems with one of my favorite video games, Guild Wars. I think the root of the problem is with my connection but im not sure; im a major novice when it comes to technical speech. (so who ever responds if you could put it in dumb-man speech it would be greatly appriciated :p) Anyway, onto the problem. the problems first start when i log into the game as it takes a long time to load a map, an unusually LARGE amount of time. sometimes a minute or 2 (other people load much quicker and have to wait until im loaded to really begin). Also, while in the public maps (towns) i lag tremendously when i try to turn or move my character. its becoming quite an annoyance, both to me and my teammates. any response is appriciated.

1st u need to fill in your profile for your system specs

then we can go from there to see whats up

cable modem (100mbps)
1.7GHz
256mb ram
37 gb hard drive

hope this is what you were looking for :/ (like i said im somewhat computer illiterate)

ok that will kind of help me see what your sys is capable of

first off and foremost, your 256mb system ram just wont do these days. I was explaining online gaming to another member here who was having lag issues too. I went to gamespot.com to check out the system requirements for guild wars. **side note**(i have never played guild wars, but i have played similar games to it) heres what they say you need minimum -->

min requirements PIII 800mhz
256mb sys ram
video ram 32mb
hard drive 2.0 gig

what they RECOMMEND (i.e. better)
P III 1 Ghz (your covered)
512 mb sys ram (your not covered)
video ram of 64 mb(unsure you didnt list)

based on this, you AT LEAST meet what is required to play the game on a somewhat functional level, ie low graphics, low resolution, detail features on minimum etc. Now based on this info, i still need to know what graphics card you have on your system and how much ram it has. THis is a big deal. remember you may have the processor to handle the game, but if the other things like ram and video card are weak, the game will not work well. OH and by the way: online games almost always require more than the RECOMMENDED system specs. in other words they dont tell you what you will REALLY need in order to get the best out of the game.

recap: it looks like you need to get more system ram, jump to 512mb or even better get a gig. Now again the video card is gonna be your ace in this hand. if your video is out of date and by judging your system specs, it is, its time to get a new one, preferably with 256 mb ram on it.

hope this helps somewhat

As a big fan of GW, i totally agree. You need more RAM badly. I will assume that (just an assumption) that your gfx card is a bit weak as well..( i dont know many people run a 7800 and 256mb of ram, it ussualy corrolates)

But the long load times is definitely your ram. If your interested in upgrading, post back and we can help ya out. Luckly RAM is pretty cheap (as far as PC parts go)

Sean

Hey guys. I have been having the same problem when I run Guild Wars. It's very laggy and slow, no matter how high or low the graphics are. I've looked at the requirements and none of that should be a problem. Here's what I'm running:

256MB of video RAM (using a Radeon 9600)
72GB hard drive
1.5 GB of RAM
108 mbps connection
2.4 GHz Pentium IV processor

I have made sure that all the drivers are installed and updated, and I have checked the Guild Wars troubleshooting page on their site. Nothing on that helped. Hope you guys can.

Thanks

the only thing that i can think of (and seeing as how im quite a novice when it comes to computers) is that your firewall (i assume you have one) may be getting in the way and your internet speed might be suffering. . Try running the game without it, or recongifuring it, perhaps? I don't know if that will help, but i hope it does

hmm... I'm not sure, but I highly doubt it's my connection. My brother uses the same connection (same exact wireless receiver "connected" to the same router, and he's farther away, getting only an "average" signal, compared to my "strong" signal), yet his computer runs Guild Wars perfectly. A friend and I who are not at all new to computers are completely baffled by this. Here's what his system is:

2.0GHz Pentium IV cpu
32 GB hard drive
256 video ram (not sure what card)
512MB RAM
108mbps connection

Compare that to mine and everything I have is either the same, or better in most cases.
Also, I have scanned for viruses using 4 different scanners (ewido anti-spyware, spybot, avg, and ad-aware), and none of them pick anything up. Which is good, because this harddrive was just formatted less than a week ago, so there should not be any viruses on it.

I tried playing GW on a wireless connection and got constant lag and dropped connections. I had to go wired.

Maybe some kind of backround applicaition using up resources? AV or something to that tune? Do you play any other games? Do they have the same issue?

Start the game with -pref parameter and it'll show you the fps and bytes transferred / second. Do they both drop at the same time? Do graphics settings have any effect? Do international districts (different servers) have any effect?

AtK SpAdE said:
Maybe some kind of backround applicaition using up resources? AV or something to that tune? Do you play any other games? Do they have the same issue?

I close out of everything and still get the problem. No other games I play are messing up. In fact, all other games run perfectly.

Mictlantecuhtli said:
Start the game with -pref parameter and it'll show you the fps and bytes transferred / second. Do they both drop at the same time? Do graphics settings have any effect? Do international districts (different servers) have any effect?

May I ask how one would go about doing that? And graphics setting have little to no effect, though it seems the game runs slightly better on higher graphic settings. International disctricts don't help at all.

i have just started playing guildwars and have lag issues. im not sure if i got the right specs for this game but i have found the specs for my laptop and "paste" them here for any1 to look at and let me know if there ok. thanks in advance IBM Intel Celeron M 330 / 1.4GHz
RAM - 256 MB
Hard Disk - 30 GB
Optical Drive - DVD/CD-RW Combi
Graphics - Intel Extreme Graphics 2
Screen Size - 14 inches
Native Resolution - 1024 x 768 (XGA)
Ports - 1 x Type II or Type III, 2 x USB2.0, 1 x Parallel, 1 x VGA, 1 x RJ11, 1 x RJ45, 1 x Headphone, 1 x Mic
Battery - Lithium-Ion
Operating System - Microsoft Windows XP Home
Width - 332 mm
Depth - 37 mm
Height - 268 mm
Weight - 3 kg
Features - Wireless LAN 802.11g
Warranty - 1 Years

lol ok so theres more there than just the specs. ><

thomas5924 said:
i have just started playing guildwars and have lag issues.

i don't think its your connection problem, but i suspect you're downloading their map when ever you go to a new place lol. correct me if i'm wrong.

hi again. i was on yesterday and the same thing. also i noticed evrytime i change areas i get a loading screen . at first the bar is emty then shoot's up to 100% and useally stays there for a minute then FINALLY i get to the next area but my character takes a couple of seconds to pop up b4 i can continue. im not sure if im downloading the map or not..... prolly am though. is there sumthing that can b done if that is the case ?????

Start the game with parameter -image . It downloads a complete update for Guild Wars and then exits, you need to remove the parameter in order to get to play.

Connection Problems

Hey all,

I am a soldier deployed to Iraq and I LOVE Guild Wars. The only problem is that I am on a REALLY crappy satelite connection. I know that the laptop hardware is not the problem, it is a brand new laptop from Cyber Power. I was wanting to know if anyone had any tips on maximizing a really slow connection?

Thanks for all of your help

lag on guild wars

i am having lag problems with guild wars and night fall i have windows vista and here are my stats do i need a new video card or more ram any help would be appreciated.

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Memory: Ram 446 MB
32 bit operating system
141 gb

ATI Radeon xpress200 series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back