TechSpot

H:\ is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect.

By leem
May 13, 2005
  1. H:\ is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect.__ A NEW TWIST

I recently installed 2 OSs on my computer. I should have my hardrives partitioned like this:

HD1: C: boot files E: 98 se K: back up and L: XP

HD2: D: Games F: Images G: Music

Now, I am not sure WHY the logical drives are named this way. I don't care what C: D: or whatever drive the partitions are labled. This is just how my computer did it.

The perplexing thing is that there is an H: I never created. I used Fdisk and was very specific on how I created my drives.

I left HD2 alone (which had three partitions --games, images, music), and only partitioned my first HD. I used a 98 SE boot disk to creat the two partitions--one for the boot files and one for Windows 98 (I want to and can Dual Boot).

After I installed 98se, I used the XP disk to create a third partition for backup or storage and and 4th partition for XP. I then installed XP.

Where did this fifths H: come from? When I try to access it or formatt it, it says "H:/ is not accessible The parameters are incorrect." It is not using up any of my HD space. I just want to delete it but can't.

Any ideas?

2. IronDuke

IronDuke TS Rookie Posts: 856

Possibly a card reader or another device plugged in a USB port. The reason for it not being accessible is it is empty.

Boots

3. Vigilante

Vigilante TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,666

Use Disk Manager.

Right click My Computer, choose "manage". Click Disk Manager. Check out your drives from there.

Is H: PART of your physical disk, or does it have it's own section just for itself?
    You should see 2 main bars split up with your partitions. And and another bar(s) for CD-ROM drives. If there is a bar for H: all by itself, then it's like IronDuke said, and is some kind of other drive your system has.

If H: is alongside the other letters, well just give us the details, or a screen shot of Disk Manager.

4. leem

leem TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 73

When I open up "My Computer," I can see the H: with all of my other partitions. It is located by the HD partitions and not the CD or DVD drives. When I open up Disk Management, it does not see it at all. When I map the network drives (type in map after I start up windoes with the XP disk and hit F10), it does not show it there either.

I only see it in My Computer. I really want to get rid of the icon.

5. IronDuke

You don't see it in Explorer or whatever file manager you use?
    You could try changing one of your other partitions to H. It may give a clue and if you can change a partition it may just disappear when you change back. Not exactly science more like voodoo. :D

6. Vigilante

IronDuke he said he ONLY sees it in Explorer (My Computer).

leem, right click on your H: in My Computer and tell us everything it tells you about the drive.

I was going to suggest it could be a virtual drive of sorts, but even that would show up in Disk Manager.

7. IronDuke

OK Vigilante my mistake. I think of My Computer as just the folder with the drives. :zzz:

8. leem

leem TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 73

OK.. I have a new twist. I am ready to fix the problem, I think I have a good idea how to do it, but the there is a problem with partition (k:)--the 46G that I created. I put on 5.7G worth of old back up stuff...and like an *****, I deleted it off of my 2nd hard drive.

I logged on tonight, and there is nothing in k:

Eekkk.

Does anyone know how to recover files? I ran chkdsk k:/f and it said there was a bad sector it fixed, but there is still no files there.

I ran chkdsk again, and it finds and fixes the same sector.

Now for the fun part, when I look at the properties, it says there are 5.7 G used space, but when I look inside, there is nothing there.

I am viewing hidden folders. WHere is my backup?

9. Vigilante

Does it have a "recycler" folder? You may not see the folder. Try typing it right into the address bar directly. If the address bar isn't viewable in Explorer, click View-Toolbars-Address Bar. You may have to move and resize it when it appears.

Then go to Tools-Folder Options-View tab. Check "show the full path in address bar" or whatever.

Now it'll say something like just "K:". So add on that "K:\recycler", you get the idea.

That's just a quick check. Maybe you already tried. Otherwise, I got no idea, maybe we'll have to find a data recovery app like R-tools or something.

10. IronDuke

Check and make sure that you're not filtering the view in Explorer. When all my files vanished I was looking at a directory of wordproccesor files and the view criteria was "*.exe".

11. Erume

Erume TS Rookie

Chkdsk

Hi!

I don't know if you have solved you problem, but this happened to me and what did I do was to run a check disk:

<prompt> CHKDSK E: /F /R /X

and bamb! problem solved!

Hope this help! :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.