1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Hackers extorting money out of tech startups in exchange for protection from DDoS attacks

By Himanshu Arora ยท 6 replies
Apr 7, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Cyber criminals have recently targeted several small technology startups with an aim to extort money. According to a New York Times report, startups like Meetup, Vimeo, Basecamp, Bit.ly, Shutterstock, and more, have already been hit by such attacks.

Read more

2. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,797   +1,148

Of course they were told to pay in Bitcoins. No way for the authorities to track them down for extortion then. I have a feeling this will be one of many stories to come about Bitcoins being the new cyber mafia's currency of choice.

wastedkill likes this.
  3. GhostRyder

GhostRyder This guy again... Posts: 2,196   +592

Been waiting to make a joke like this for awhile

Hello, we're the robot Mafia:
    [​IMG]

But in all seriousness, I remember when DDOS was something extreme, now its become a child's play thing in which kids threaten to DDOS one another for beating them in a video game. The fact that people are now offering protection services like this is just getting plain old stupid.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
    theBest11778 likes this.
  4. Neojt

Neojt TS Booster Posts: 170   +25

And where back with bullies asking for your lunch monney!

5. theBest11778

theBest11778 TS Addict Posts: 277   +105

Hahaha, exactly what I was thinking.

6. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,911   +3,122

Well if people are willing to pay, why blame the salesman for making what could be a false claim?

7. Gamesinner

Gamesinner TS Rookie Posts: 86

The method is new but the game is the same.