Hackers extorting money out of tech startups in exchange for protection from DDoS attacks

1. Cyber criminals have recently targeted several small technology startups with an aim to extort money. According to a New York Times report, startups like Meetup, Vimeo, Basecamp,, Shutterstock, and more, have already been hit by such attacks.

Read more
  2. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,729   +1,093

Of course they were told to pay in Bitcoins. No way for the authorities to track them down for extortion then. I have a feeling this will be one of many stories to come about Bitcoins being the new cyber mafia's currency of choice.
    wastedkill likes this.
  3. GhostRyder

GhostRyder You know, that one guy with the PC Posts: 2,189   +589

Been waiting to make a joke like this for awhile

Hello, we're the robot Mafia:

But in all seriousness, I remember when DDOS was something extreme, now its become a child's play thing in which kids threaten to DDOS one another for beating them in a video game. The fact that people are now offering protection services like this is just getting plain old stupid.
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
    theBest11778 likes this.
  4. Neojt

Neojt TS Booster Posts: 165   +22

And where back with bullies asking for your lunch monney!
  5. theBest11778

theBest11778 TS Addict Posts: 218   +64

Hahaha, exactly what I was thinking.
  6. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

Well if people are willing to pay, why blame the salesman for making what could be a false claim?
  7. Gamesinner

Gamesinner TS Rookie Posts: 86

The method is new but the game is the same.