TechSpot

Hackers hold patient medical records for ransom, demand $4,200

By Shawn Knight
Dec 12, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. A group of hackers broke into the Miami Family Medical Centre in Australia and are now holding all of their patient's medical records for ransom. The hackers didn't physically take or delete the files but they have encrypted them and...

Read more

2. Yet another reason to have regular backups and keep some backup set offsite. What would happen if the office had any type of disaster (fire, flood, etc)?

3. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TS Enthusiast Posts: 429   +15

Is there not a guy with a twenty-five GPU walking around practically bragging that he can do this in a day or so.

Outsourcing, dammit...

4. Its better to pay for a 128 GPU RAID and thats it. be happy

5. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TS Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

What about the physical copies of the records? I know everytime Ive gone to see a doctor they pull out a manilla folder filled with paperwork. Also there has to be someway to bust these *******es. Someway to make these dipsticks pay for thier crime. And yes lets be harsh with the ppl involved in this. Better to nip this particular trend in the bud before it gains any sort of momentum. Or else these type of attacks are going to be common place.

6. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,476   +624

How is this any different from a crime stealing physical assets? People just need to realise that computers aren't magic and can be stolen (physically and virtually).

This kind of stuff is a walk in the park. I can go to any retail store, walk past their POS computer and encrypt random things. But I don't - just like how I don't shoplift.

7. crazyboots

crazyboots TS Rookie

It's called a firewall people have to have hardware and software firewall people protect your network

8. crazyboots

crazyboots TS Rookie

Another thing would be to have a backup of the files

9. crazyboots

crazyboots TS Rookie

System admin's ahh get this little step there called windows security updates

10. Zilpha

Zilpha TS Enthusiast Posts: 349

I can't believe they don't have any sort of backup system. I mean, every server we install we make our clients put in a fresh lto tape every night to dump the entire system. Then if a server crashes or something like this were to happen, just read in the latest tape. Maybe lose a day or two of work, but it's better than this is by far. I hate to say it because I don't want to see the sick people suffer, but this office deserved it. People as smart as doctors should know the value of multiple copies of data.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.