Half-Life 2 delayed??

Status
Not open for further replies.

olefarte

Half-Life 2 dalayed?????

Say it isn't so, please. This word from Warp2Search say's that Half-Life 2 has been delayed, to maybe the holiday season, but still before the first of the year, at least. But maybe just a false rumour, I hope.
GamesWeb reports that the release of Half Life 2 on the 30 September has been canceled and that it will be released until later this year. Without commenting on the delay, a Vivendi Universal representative reaffirmed that the game would ship this year, sometime during the holiday season. Update: Maybe the information is wrong, as Shacknews pointed out. Gabe Newell from Valve reacted to this informations with: First time I've heard about this. We will see if true or not, we will keep you posted.

Actually the word is not official yet... never trust publishers! (or any big news not posted @ TS ;)) From shacknews:

A number of gaming sites out there are carrying word of an alleged Half-Life 2 delay according to some folks at Vivendi Universal who are publishing the title retail for Valve Software. However word doesnt seem to have traveled down to Valve according to an email pulled from the Steam forums. (We havent been able to directly confirm or deny with anyone at Valve yet) who might know a thing or two about that. timm of Shacknews comments fame already pointed out this Gabe Newell response:

First time I've heard about this.

So there you go, dont panic just yet as Valve Software decides when they ship, not Vivendi. Valve says there is no delay (that they are aware of, and well.. if anyone is aware of a delay it would be Valve), then there is no delay. Things are still on target for Sept 30th until/unless Valve says otherwise. This is of course assuming the email is legit. The bit about something like this coming down from Vivendi is a bit far fetched too given Valve's situation so what the hell. We'll have word here for you guys as soon as we hear from Valve.

Even if it's true or not, the rumours, if that's what they really are, keep flying. According to this at PlanetHalfLife.com, there is definately a delay until Nov. As they state, if it's not true, you'd think Valve would have issued a statement contradicting the rumours floating around. Maybe it's just a ploy to keep all of us talking, but then again, I don't think they need to do that, there's enough talk and anticipation already. Here's the entire Planet Half Life statement.
Half-Life 2 Delay: 7/30/2003 15:04 PST | Half-Life 2 | by Fragmaster Just a follow-up on yesterday's Half-Life 2 delay story: to clear things up, we have confirmed directly with Vivendi Universal that there is a delay. We've even double checked. Valve has yet to send an official confirmation or denial either way on this, and other sites are reporting that there isn't a delay based on alleged email answers Gabe Newell sent to random fans. In some cases, these mails are obviously forged. Yes, Valve is developing Half-Life 2 and they have control over when the game is declared finished, but Vivendi is responsible for publishing the game and actually getting it in stores. And that entire quality assurance, duplication, packaging, and distribution process takes time. So Vivendi has a little bit of say in the matter too, wouldn't you say? Now, if there really wasn’t a delay, Valve could have easily sent a two line press release out telling everybody that everything was right on schedule. But they haven’t. And considering the original Half-Life, TF2, TFC, the HL SDK, Steam, CS: CZ, and pretty much every other project Valve has been involved with has suffered delays of various lengths, this latest setback shouldn’t be surprising. Really, this isn’t a big deal, as we should still get the game this year. Valve doesn’t want to push a crappy version of Half-Life 2 out the door just for the sake of meeting some arbitrary deadline, and I’m sure they won’t ship Half-Life 2 until it is ready. As always, we’ll attempt to keep you posted.

From the Steam forums...

http://steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=9869&highlight=delay

Gabe Newells Official Response!:

First time I've heard about this.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 4:18 PM
To: gaben@valvesoftware.com
Subject: HL2 Delayed?

Hello Gabe,

Are these true?

http://www.gamepro.com/computer/pc/...ews/30492.shtml

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/h...ws_6072668.html

Oh man I hope there not...

Thanks in advance,
Nathan Willis

I don't see anything at Vivendi Universal's site that says it's delayed, or on time, for that matter, just says "coming soon". Nothing at Valve's site either, it's not even mentioned as far as I can see. Maybe this is all a hoax as some have said.

This is the quote from the link JSR listed in case you can't find it. I think every site you go to has a different take on this. Best to wait and see.
A representative from Vivendi Universal got back with me about the Half-Life 2 release date. Here is the short (and sweet) statement: "Valve is still working toward the Sept. 30 ship date." Whew!

i hope not because i'll end up buying sof2 as my new fps and if it come's out a bit later i wont have the money :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back