half life 2 game of the year edition wont operate on steam

By dawg450
Feb 19, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I had half life 2 game of the year edition for a few mnths now and through the span I went through 2 computers and it worked well but recently I gotten a high end pentium 4 dell processor with a 120 gig harddrive,512 megs of ram,direct X9.0c, ATI radeon 9550 graphics card and has a windows xp professional operating system.

when I first gotten the computer the game operated well for over an hour but afterwards it crashed and thats when I gotten the 120 gig harddrive installed in the computer but afterwards it wouldnt boot up after a successful installment and update for each game(counter strike source,half life source,half life 2 deathmatch and half life 2) and afterwards nothing happened. Its been weeks on end of un and reinstalling and no luck also I went to the steam support page and no luck whatsoever at all and I even went into the hardrive and deleted the files for steam and half life 2 and reinstalled it but no luck at all and its getting me mad about it.

Just recently I gotten this error message saying debug assertion failed and that I need to debug the application and that a JIT debugging must be enabled? I dont know but its confusing me alot with all of this.
  2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,388   +205

Maybe this FAQ at the Steam site will help: Click here.
  3. dawg450

dawg450 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I tried those steps before and it gotten me nowhere and the game still does not come on after saying that prepare to luanch icon for a few seconds. I dont know whats wrong I mean other ppl arent having this problem so I dont know I mean I have a very up to date computer with every single driver updated fully and I have the right windows operating system so i dont know whats the matter.
  4. dawg450

dawg450 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

UPDATE: I recently tried half life 2 game of the year edition on my dads computer and it worked well and figured that theres something inside my compouter that wont make it work and I dont know wehat it is. I dont know why it wont work because before it crashed and gotten a new harddrive it worked very well and then when I put the new harddrive in it wont work. I asked my father if he by any chance put anything new inside the computer besides the harddrive he said no so I dont know why it wont work and that makes me mad.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.