Half-life (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thing

What a confusion :confused:

"NOTE – If you choose to make the settings in your own custom config file then you can omit the "" from each setting. In the config.cfg there will need to be a "x". E.g. In your config.cfg a setting would appear as follows, r_texturemode "LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR". while in your own autoexec.cfg it would appear simply as r_texturemode LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR."

First they say that in a costum configfile i dont need to had the """ but then they say "E.g. In your config.cfg a setting would appear as follows, r_texturemode "LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR"."
So, do settings in a costum config file need to have """ or not ? is it ""1"" or "1" ?

I tweaked over 69 settings, after loading hl.exe with last version and all ok i start a multiplayer lan game, go to console and write exec 0.cfg where i added all the settings, but notice no changes. To test i put "cl_showfps "1"" in the 0.cfg and it did show the fps, so what is wrong ?

Too bad they wont update the guide, somethings no longer work.

But wait, maybe the first time i executed the 0.cfg was before entering a game, in the console in the main menu.
The point is that, does half-life save the settings ? if i exec 0.cfg one time, i think those settings will be always the same for the next times i start the game, even if i dont exec it again.
Am i right ?

Originally posted by Thing
But wait, maybe the first time i executed the 0.cfg was before entering a game, in the console in the main menu. The point is that, does half-life save the settings ? if i exec 0.cfg one time, i think those settings will be always the same for the next times i start the game, even if i dont exec it again. Am i right ?

That is incorrect. Half Life does not remember the files that you execute from the console. If you do it this way, you will have to type "exec 0.cfg" yourself every time you open Half Life.

Originally posted by Thing

So, do settings in a costum config file need to have """ or not ? is it ""1"" or "1" ?

As for needing quotes you do not need them. For example, if you had the follow commands in your 0.cfg file:

name Demon
bind backspace buyequip

Those commands would work just fine. Please note that you can put quotes around them and that would work just fine too.

Example:
name "Demon"
bind "backspace" "buyequip"

Both, having quotes and not having quotes will work! You asked: is it ""1"" or "1" ?. You'd never put 4 quotes around an item like that. It'd be simply: "1", or "buyequip".

Ok

Thanks

I always put two " betwen things i want to refer, its normal, so when i want to say do you i have to put the two " i say """ the " is betwen the ", LOL :p

But why didnt i notice any change ? hehe...
I should execute the .cfg before starting the real game ? enter half-life, enter console, exec, start game ?

can't you just put the scripts or whatever into the autoexec file in HL. then you don't have to exec the things every stinking time you start the game.

Duh not real problem going to console and exec config.cfg

The problem is when i dont see any changes, whyyyyy

Try it!

See by yourself! you can see that the cvar that changes the letter colors doesnt work, you can set showfps to 1 and it will show, do you notice any change ?

bgmvolume 1
cl_allowdownload 1
cl_allowupload 1
cl_download_ingame 1
cl_himodels 1
cl_resend 2
cl_showfps 0
cl_showmessages 1
con_color 255 255 255
gl_clear 0
gl_cull 0
gl_dither 0