TechSpot

Hard Disk running a 1/3 capacity

By BBString
Sep 10, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey!

I've installed a 8.4 GB HDD on a 266 mhz machine, its BIOS safely indentifies it at full capacity but Windows 98 thinks its a 2.1GB HDD!

Mad! Any ideas?

The String
  2. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

Has it been formated and all space allocated properly?
  3. Nic

Nic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,928

Either,

you have a very old PC that doesn't support hard drives above 2.1GB, even though the bios will show the real size.

or,

You only have a 2.1GB partition on your drive, and need to create a larger partition to see the additional capacity.

If you posted more info, such as your mainboard make/model, then we wouldn't need to guess. You need to format with FAT32 or NTFS to get larger partition size. Standard FAT (i.e. FAT16) only supports up to 2.1GB.
  4. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,291   +263

Win98=FAT32 if you want all your space
  5. BBString

BBString Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 54

Yeah it was formatted with FAT16, gonna format it in 98 and reinstall... cheers me dears!
  6. BBString

BBString Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 54

Checked the file system with FDISK and its was FAT16 as suspected, created a new partition using FDISK with the FAT32 file system as supported by that version (WIN98SE BOOT DISK).

Merci....
  7. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

So it sounds like you got everything squared away ok? If so I'm glad to hear it.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.