Hard drive disappears

Sev

I have a WD 1TB Green Sata but every now and then it just disappears from device manager and computer and storage manager, does anyone have any clues, i have had this problem for some time right now im running off an IDE and well thats just sad but stable ive tried different Sata ports and so on, no change still disappears happens on alot of my hard drives, im scared it may be my mobo...

Yes, as you suspect this could be a fault on the mobo. But, as it is intermittent it could just be a bad connection or a faulty SATA cable. About the only suggestion I can offer is to try a new SATA cable.

When the drive dissapears have a look to see if it is still recognised in the Bios.

it disappears from bios aswell, i just used WD's Lifeguard and reset all to zeros and going to run a disk check from windows now and see if anything changes will up ( and gunna buy a new sata cable)

I have a WD 1TB Green Sata but every now and then it just disappears from device manager and computer and storage manager, does anyone have any clues, i have had this problem for some time right now im running off an IDE and well thats just sad but stable ive tried different Sata ports and so on, no change still disappears happens on alot of my hard drives, im scared it may be my mobo...
If you're running Windows 7 and have the drive in "AHCI" mode, (SATA), if the drive doesn't spin up fully fast enough, (within 10 seconds), then it will disappear. There is a windows update for this. First see this thread: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic150892.html Then, check out this hot fix from M$: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977178

If this is a system drive, the machine crashes. If this is a storage drive, it will just disappear. This happens with SATA drives a small as 640GB, no matter what the KB article says. Keep in mind the problem mostly occurs when resuming from standby.

I hope we're talking about the same issue, as this is an easy fix

If you're running Windows 7 and have the drive in "AHCI" mode, (SATA), if the drive doesn't spin up fully fast enough, (within 10 seconds), then it will disappear. There is a windows update for this. First see this thread: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic150892.html Then, check out this hot fix from M$: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977178

If this is a system drive, the machine crashes. If this is a storage drive, it will just disappear. This happens with SATA drives a small as 640GB, no matter what the KB article says. Keep in mind the problem mostly occurs when resuming from standby.

I hope we're talking about the same issue, as this is an easy fix

nope i have it running in IDE mode, since ACHI doesnt find my IDE drive lol, and no stop messages

As a shot in the dark you could see if there are any more recent drivers for the motherboard and check for an update to your Bios.

Event Viewer : Warning Detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\DR8 during a paging operation

Error The device \Device\Harddisk5\DR5, Has a bad block

OK, I would run the checkdisk utility and see what it finds, if it is just bad blocks causing the problem the disc check should cure it but it will indicate that the drive is failing and more bad blocks may well occur.

Don't know your OS so:

Windows 7 and Vista.
1. Press Start > type cmd in the search box. A box will open with CMD at the top, right click on it and select run as administrator. Another box will open, at the prompt, type chkdsk /r and press enter. (Note the gap between the k and the /)

2.Check disk will start to run but then it will say:

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N) Type Y for yes, and press enter. Then reboot the computer into normal mode. Chkdsk will start when Windows begins loading again. Let all 5 phases run and don't use or turn off the computer. (The chkdsk process may take an hour or more to finish.)

3.Chkdsk finds any corrupted files and fixes them. Read the results of each phase as it finishes. During the final phase, it will notify you if it finds any corrupted files. It will also report on finding any bad sectors on the hard drive, these will be blocked from further use and the data on them moved.

4.When the Check Disk is done, it will finish loading Windows.

Let us know what happens.

Windows XP
1. Press Start > type cmd in the search box and enter. At that c: prompt, type chkdsk /r and press enter.

2.Check disk will start to run but then it will say:

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

Type Y for yes, and press enter. Then reboot the computer into normal mode. Chkdsk will start when Windows begins loading again. Let all 5 phases run and don't use or turn off the computer. (The chkdsk process may take an hour or more to finish.)

3.Chkdsk finds any corrupted files that are causing the problem and fixes them. Read the results of each phase as it finishes. During the final phase, it will notify you if it finds any corrupted files.

4.When the Check Disk is done, it will finish loading Windows.

the drive is not the main drive its Z infact, and i have done this before says errors found and fixed but doesnt fix the issue at hand..

If this problem is repeating for just that one drive then you should replace it. Running the chkdsk /r command will stop the bad blocks from being used but it is likely more bad blocks will occur as the drive deteriorates, it's not something that is going to get better.

If this problem is repeating for just that one drive then you should replace it. Running the chkdsk /r command will stop the bad blocks from being used but it is likely more bad blocks will occur as the drive deteriorates, it's not something that is going to get better.

it does it on all sata ports on all drives that ive used Seagates and WDs

How old are the drives? If they get a lot of use they could all have bad blocks but on reflection that would be quite a coincidence. Is your power supply powerful enough as that could cause a problem. My final thought would be to test the drives performance in another PC, if it works OK in another PC then chances are that your original thought of a faulty motherboard may well be correct, especially when considering that the drive also disappears from the Bios.

the drive in question is under 2 months old, but all of them have had this issue, 1000w psu ultra x3, and yeah i think it is the mobo had this issue since i got it, so i guess since ive spent about 500$ in HDDs mine as well spent 150$ and get the crosshair V lol

as there any jumpers on the hard drive f yes make ur main on master and the other which u can not see on slave might be it solve ur problem

Back