Hard drive messed up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jandizz

Since day one (which would be sometime in july 06) I've been getting BSOD's on my PC.
KERNEL STACK INPAGE ERROR
KERNEL DATA INPAGE ERROR 0X0000007A
and
A PROCESS OR CRUCIAL THREAD HAS BEEN ELIMINATED 0X0000004F

I have searched the interweb mindlessly for eons looking for answers to why my computer is being such a piece of garbage and have found that:
When i disable virtual memory, i dont get the KERNEL STACK BSOD, but I do get the KERNEL DATA BSOD which I have no idea why it is happening because I set my computer no paged file.
I have also tried switching my SATA cable for my hard drive and continually using different SATA ports, which makes no difference.
The "A PROCESS..." BSOD just happens all the time, probably 2-4x a week usually within the first 20 minuntes of turning on my computer.

If anyone has any advice for me hardware/software please help me on this one.

Take the time to download and run Memtest86 for a minimum of 7 or so passes. This will test the integrity of your RAM.

If you haven't stumbled across it in your searches, RAM is a frequent cause for BSODs and it sounds like it could be a strong possibility in your case.

Test your HDD with one of the utilities here, and then, if possible test your PSU.

It might just be some level of data corruption or some odd configuration issue as well. It wouldn't hurt anything to reinstall Windows, though, it's not going to cure anything if it is hardware related, at least you'll know.

DL'd the Western Digital Data Life Guard Diagnostics software, ran both the quick and extended tests, and passed both.
I've also re-installed windows xp professional at least 6 times on this computer, so I def. want to avoid doing that again.
Any other suggestions?

mmmm, this is indeed a hard one. I was going to say the same thing. Reninstall xp, could be something wrong with your xp install, but since you already said you did it 6x then that pretty much means there might be a hardware issue. Could be a processor issue. Don't suppose you have a spare processor laying around you can try? Maybe even a mobo issue. You can also try swapping your psu with another. Perhaps something in your PC isn't getting adequate power resulting in bsods. Good Luck!

I think he might of been suggesting that he's reinstalled it 6 times in the past and is not interested in going that route to resolve this issue.

if thats the case then he should do another reinstall to make absolutely sure its not some measly file causing the problem.

Yeah unfortunately, i dont have an extra AM2 processor laying around. Also, i cannot do another reinstall, i would need an extra HD to transfer all of the data to. If anything, I'm going to guess that it is a conflict between the hard drive and the motherboard. I remember within the first 10 minutes of having my computer on (for the first time after being built) i got a KERNEL STACK INPAGE ERROR BSOD. And that deals with virtual memory (correct me if im wrong). Are their any tests i could do for my motherboard?

because I set my computer no paged file.
I'd put it on minimum and maximum 50Meg at least. But have you tried it with the defaults?

Also in CMOS, put your video to 64 Meg of Ram, and your CPU to Normal (in the settings)

Test with that

Yeah i changed my PF to 1024 min and 1024 max cause apparently having the same allows your computer to run faster (thank you google). And also while disecting my machine tonight i found that i had a regular 4-pin power connector going the the HD along with an additional SATA power cable....so i took the 4-pin off, doesn't seem to make a difference although no BSOD's yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back