Hard drive problem need help fast

Status
Not open for further replies.

duffguy

i jjust tried to install a brand new western digital 160gb as my slave but when i plug evrything in and turn on my computer my computer dosent even see the new hard drive.

The western digital cd searched for hard drives and it only found my old seagate. What should i do? should i use that ribbon cable they gave me?(i dont have any slots open should i just dissconnect the floppy ribbon?

Ok first thing.. do not disconnect your floppy cable... it is not the same kind of cable, it simply will not work.

Is this an IDE hard drive. if so how many IDE devices do you have in your computer.

If your answer to the above questions are yes, you will need to do one of the following 3 things..

1. remove one IDE device to alllow you to use this one.
2. install an additional IDE controller card in one of your pci slots.
3. purchase an external USB IDE drive enclosure. (probably the best option) put the dd in the enclosure and connect to your computer via USB port. This is the simplest for 2 reasons, you do not have to open your case, and the media can be moved to another computer with ease.

all i know is that its a western digital 160gb 8mb catch ATA 7200rpm

its gave me a ribbon plug thing its a 40pin 80 conductor. it says i have to install that for the drive to run but theres no slots left

ok if you do not have any "slots" left that simply means that the motherboard has IDE cables plugged in already.

If you want to install this into your box try attaching it to the same ide cable as your primary hard drive. It should have 2 slots on the cable, so you can attach 2 devices per ide cable or per IDE channel.

If you can not do that then you will need to invest in an external hard drive enclosure. they run around 30 bucks.

You do not have to use the cable that you received with the hdd. the IDE cable you received is a standard IDE cable and is not a propriatary cable for that hard drive.

so wat your saying is that i attch the old hard drive and new one with the new ribbon cabble?

you should not have to use the new cable. you typically get one with a new hard drive purchase.

you can use the cables that are already inside your case.

ok. your problem may be with the jumper settings on the hdd's..

remove the hdd and ensure that the jumpers on it are set to slave...

they gave me 2 jumper shunts which one do i use the big one (white) or the small one (black)

do i also need my windows cd? i dont have one :(

you will have to look at the documentation that came with the hdd to determine what jumper settings to configure and where they are located on the hdd.

yep it said to put in dual(slave) to put on the second row. I got that..... check

wats next?

do i also have to switch my master hard drive to master(dual) ?

urbandragon said:
Ok first thing.. do not disconnect your floppy cable... it is not the same kind of cable, it simply will not work.

Is this an IDE hard drive. if so how many IDE devices do you have in your computer.

If your answer to the above questions are yes, you will need to do one of the following 3 things..

1. remove one IDE device to alllow you to use this one.
2. install an additional IDE controller card in one of your pci slots.
3. purchase an external USB IDE drive enclosure. (probably the best option) put the dd in the enclosure and connect to your computer via USB port. This is the simplest for 2 reasons, you do not have to open your case, and the media can be moved to another computer with ease.

it says enhanced IDE hard drive

Yes you want the first hard drive... the one with the o/s to be set to Master.

after you have both set to master/slave correctly go into your system bios... typically f1 when it is in the boot sequence..

look at your primary master/slave and secondary master/slave configuration

are the 2 hard drives detected here.. and are they recognized in the correct spot... if so your problem is not with the physical setup but with something else.

if they are not recognized, or seem flipped... swap the hard drive positions on the ide cable.

ooooooo so i change the jumper settings on my master too. If i do that then will it detect the other one? well ill try.

okay so if i dont switch the jumper settings to master dual to my master then it wont read my new slave drive?

i tryed evrything i did the jumpers and etc. Do i switch the ribbon cable or wat? LIke switch them?

Wat if i put jumper setings(on master) to salve that does not support ata?

This is wat happens when i turn on comp...it goes to the thing were it detecs evrything(on start up) and then it just frezzes..i think its called loked uo or somthing then it just stays there .... i fell like.. :knock:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back