TechSpot

hard drive problems

By 73_240z
Jan 15, 2006
  1. I resently bought a WD raptor that i wanted to use solely for my OS, and keep my IDE WD 80 gig for everything else. The problems i am having is setting up my 80 gig. Does anyone have any advice?

2. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,994

to get help yor going ot have to provide more info than , "I am having problems". Specificaly what problems are you having and what hardware and OS are on your system.

3. 73_240z

73_240z TS Rookie Topic Starter

OS = XP pro
    System = AMD 64 3000+
    Asus K8N Nforce 3 mobo
    1.5 gig pc 3200 ram
    X800XL
    Problems = bios recongnizes the 80 gig IDE, but windows (which is on the raptor ) doesnt recognize the 80gig (which i want to use as data storage)

4. SultanGris

SultanGris TS Booster Posts: 158

do you have it jumpered correctly? do you have Western Digital Data lifeguard tools cd? have you ran it?

5. Sean

Sean TS Rookie Posts: 100

Okay, go to administrator tools==>Computer managment==>Disk managment==>
    Select the drive you're going to use for data, and rightclick format. And Assign it a drive letter, prefurabally one that is not in use.

6. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,994

has the 80 gig IDe been partitoned and formated? does it show up in administrative tools\computer management\disk management?

7. Sean

Sean TS Rookie Posts: 100

It's a brand new drive. So it won't be partitioned. And Every storage device attached to the computer will be shown. If not, then maybe faulty ide cable.

8. 73_240z

the 80gig is unpartitioned, but it does show up in device manager

9. 73_240z

ok thx it worked i had to improvise a little i made it a dynamic drive then formated it a simple volume thx again

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.