Hard Drive sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pheryllt

I have a Desktop with 2 HD's. One is 60 Gig and the other 300 gig. I want to share the 300 gig on a network so that I can pick it up on my laptop. My problem is when I share it I dont want everyone on my network to have access to it. Is there any way that I can make it so that my laptop only has access to it on the network?

Im running Windows XP Home Edition

Thanks for the help <(**<) (>**)>

Pheryllt said:
My problem is when I share it I dont want everyone on my network to have access to it. Is there any way that I can make it so that my laptop only has access to it on the network?
login to your Admin Account
  1. go to cp->User Accounts
  2. change Account
  3. guest
  4. make active(a)
  5. set a password
  6. make it INACTIVE(b)
  7. close the window
You may find (a) not necessary, but when you're done, you can set (b)
to stop anyone from using the keyboard to login. This account is used
for Simple File Sharing access, and althought inactive for login, it still
can access your file shares -- hence the password. Anyone may still SEE
the share, but will not be able to login without the PW :)

I dont quite understand how the guest acc. can block access to other computers on my network.

My network is setup with my Desktop as the base and I have 4 other computers on my network. 3 laptops and another desktop. What I need is for my desktop to share an HD with my laptop and not the 3 other systems.

Also if setting up a guest account can block select systems, Which system do I set the guest on?

Im a little lost, but thanks for the help.

Pheryllt said:
I dont quite understand how the guest acc. can block access to other computers on my network.

My network is setup with my Desktop as the base and I have 4 other computers on my network. 3 laptops and another desktop. What I need is for my desktop to share an HD with my laptop and not the 3 other systems.

Also if setting up a guest account can block select systems, Which system do I set the guest on?

Im a little lost, but thanks for the help.

your desktop system has the folder to be shared (suggest a folder, not the HD C:\)

your Guest account is accessed by ALL OTHER SYSTEMS to get to the shared folder,
so control who has the password and you then control who gets access :)

I still have some issues.

Under my admin I cant set a pass for a Guest acc.

Also I cant share a folder under the guest acc.

Unless what your saying is make a guest but share it under my admin. And if I can get the Guest to pw, only people with the pw can get into my share in admin.

Which mean that all systems on my network go throught the guest by default?

Pheryllt said:
I still have some issues.
Under my admin I cant set a pass for a Guest acc.
Also I cant share a folder under the guest acc.
First, using an ADMIN login, activate the account, then set a PW, and complete
by setting inactive.

Unless what your saying is make a guest but share it under my admin. And if I can get the Guest to pw, only people with the pw can get into my share in admin.

Which mean that all systems on my network go throught the guest by default?
bingo -- you got it :)

But windows doesnt let me set a PW for a guest acc. :(

Is there any way to do it anyway?

Its not the .NET passport is it?

unless you've got serious issues; IT DOES.

try doing the steps one at a time

activate; close window

change PW; close window

I dont think I have issues.

The 3 types of accounts I have on Win XP Home are: Admin.Limited.Guest.

When I activate the Guest account I get 2 options. Set Picture. And Disable the Guest Acc.

Also in the Win help File it says this:

"The guest account is intended for use by someone who has no user account on the computer. There is no password for the guest account, so the user can log on quickly to check e-mail or browse the Internet. A user logged on to the guest account"

I dont really know why I cant set one but the help file says I cant.

I know how to share the drive, its keeping certian computers on my network from accessing it thats my problem.

All sharing and security lets me do is Share the drive on my network and set whether people can change files on the shared drive.

Im starting to think maybe win XP doesnt have that much customization (at least not XP Home).

Well im not in much of a hurry, if anybody can help me any further I apreciate it. Thanks for the help

Pheryllt said:
I know how to share the drive, its keeping certian computers on my network from accessing it thats my problem.

All sharing and security lets me do is Share the drive on my network and set whether people can change files on the shared drive.

Im starting to think maybe win XP doesnt have that much customization (at least not XP Home).

Well im not in much of a hurry, if anybody can help me any further I apreciate it. Thanks for the help

In this case, you would have to password protect the drive sharing for all systems, ajnd as you say, XP Home doesn't provide for this...

Pheryllt said:

Yes, there's no way to control a specific user per se.
The pictures attached show that XP does allow controlling the Guest Account,
and as stated already, if you control the password, then you control the access.
My Network Places will show shared folders and if a password is assigned correctly,
it will prompt for it in the process of mapping the drive(s)

[edit] ps:
XP Home file sharing also works well with Win/98, Mac OS/X, and Linux systems running SAMBA, all prompting for the Guest Access password
[/edit]

We must have different versions of XP, becasue I don't have the option for a pass

Here is a pic to prove it:
Guest_Account.jpg

Pheryllt,
You are probably running XP Home. Is it XP Home SP1, or SP2? My User Accounts are like jobeard's. I am running XP Pro, SP2. Your version of XP will be listed in Control Panel, System

Yes I am on XP Home SP2.

I think it is only XP pro that gives you the control to PW the Guest Acc.

So I dont think it will work this way, maybe there's another approach to doing it. <(**<)

Go into Help and Support and type in "Sharing and Permissions", and see what Help says on this subject

From what I gathered in the help file, you cannot turn off simplified sharing on Win XP Home. Therefore I cannot set Permissions. (Windows thinks people who use XP Home are Handicaped...)

Basiclly XP Home is not very User-Friendly.

There wasnt much else in the File. Some things didnt apply to XP at all.

Pheryllt said:
Yes I am on XP Home SP2.
I think it is only XP pro that gives you the control to PW the Guest Acc.
sorry again -- I'm on XP/Home SP2.

did you try clicking on your Guest Account? it should present the PW option.

Tmagic650 said:
I always knew XP Pro had stronger Network Security... Now we know some of the reasons why
huh?
XP Pro has lots of configurability, but I've just shown than Simple File Sharing is
configurable and accessible across platforms. Baring the use of ACL(access
control list) and an account per user, a Guest Account with a password is as effective as FTP;
either you have a good password or you don't -- security is 1/1 f(x) of the password.

All the MS KB articles describe what I have said re
simple sharing. The issue for Pheryllt is the inability to control the
Guest Account; why? I can't determine from here.

I'm almost as frustrated as I am sure Pheryllt is :(

In the picture above I am in the guest account settings.

I dont understand why we have different settings when we have the same Edition and SP.

There were no more choices for me to select from when I was in the settings.

Edit: Im frustrated as **** :)

jobeard,
if you are running XP Home, SP2 I wonder why my User Accounts can be configured just like yours? I can create limited or amin accounts with password protection easily

I can also create PW on Admin and Limited accounts. My problem like jobeard said is that I cannot set a PW for a Guest account.

Pheryllt said:
In the picture above I am in the guest account settings.
you should be logged into an account with ADMIN privileges,
which can then control ALL accounts.

you might also try
command prompt (again on admin)
control userpasswords2​
*IF* the Guest account is active, then you should be able to change its password.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back