Hard drive shows 35gig, even though it`s an 80gig drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi! im newbie here! i bought a new acer laptop and the laptop has preinstalled OS which is... i install windows xp Sp2 . . a prompt appear says there's a 2 partition . . the other one is fat 32 i think den the other one is named unknown . . i delete the partition named unknown and convert it to ntfs after that the windows xp successfully installed den when i check the capacity of my hard disk it shows only 35 GB while the true capacity of my hard disk is 80gb . . my problem now is where the other 45 GB now . . can i resize the the 35 gb to 80 gb? thanks

Edit: Please us proper thread titles from now on. Thanks.

That other "unknown" partition would most likely be your ACER Recovery Partition where you can reinstall your OS in the event of a windows OS being corrupted..

how to remove the other partition ? and make my hard disk's capacity to 80gb is there any way to resize it

You can use this tool to fix this problem I imagine.

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/1573-paragon-partition-manager.html

I'd make sure you check any accompanying documentation first though if you have any data you'd mind loosing. If you don't you may aswell run xp setup again (boot from the cd) and delete both partitions then use the create partition option to create one single big partition before you format it to ntfs and install xp. It's all there as steps in xp-setup.

Hope this helps.

sir lekki! tnx for infos. by the way! when im installing the xp, the prompt appear again here it says:

unpartitioned space 38000mb
partition 1 37000mb

you said i can delete the 2 and make a one big partition ayt?

so i will delete the unpartitioned space and the partition 1 and make a one partition . if i will delete the partition 1 the files will be erase too? do i need to format it before deleting the 2? tnx

basicaly when you run the windows installer to change the partitions its a destructive partition, so chances are you will loose everything in the drive. I suggest backing up anything you hold dear before doing so..

Also make sure you have access to all the neccesary recovery CDs for your laptop just in case. At most you'd probably get a max HDD space of about 75-77GB

Shouldnt this be in the other topic area? Hard Drive thing? I thought it should of been. Your other 45 GB is there somewhere. Theres stuff you can get to see ALL partitions so I think if you find it, you should get it and have a look on there. I will have a look for it meanwhile!

irumi said:
if i will delete the partition 1 the files will be erase too? do i need to format it before deleting the 2?

You'll need to format after, not before you delete the partition and yes this will mean you'll loose all the data on the partition when you do this. If you have any data you want to keep, I'd suggest either backing it up as N301M suggested, or download and use the utility from the hyperlink I supplied in my prior post. It's a partition management utility and is meant to be able to allow you to edit and re-size partitions without loosing data (like partition magic). If you choose this option, and find you're having trouble using the utility then you can post details on your problems and I'll try and help with them too.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back