Hard times installing hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.

eightwpm

O.k. people here it is;
asus 370 socket m.bd.
w2k o.s.
10gb hdd.
Im trying to install a new wd80gb cavier hdd.
I have w98se cd,xp pro-cd,xp-6 disk floppy set.
which way do i go to install xp on new hdd. so i can get rid of the 10 gb hdd.
oh guru answer thy ?

You would be best served by removing the 10GB drive and installing the 80GB drive. Then use the XP Pro CD to install (including partition and format) XP on it. Once that process is complete, you can shut down and add the 10GB drive back in as a secondary.

hard times installing hdd.

gandalph,
a bit more info, i have tried your response.I also have tried both hdd's as master and slave. every config. possible. Another thing that happens, when i have hooked up the old hdd (maxtor) 10 gig. as master & new hdd(80gig.)wd caviar as slave the pc keeps restarting over & over.
sys; asus tuslc-c
192 ram
intel pentium 3
nvidea graphics card
floppy
cd-rom/ricoh
thanks for ur reply,hope this extra info can help.
:confused:

gandalph,
i havent tried that yet,actually,not to question you , but the manuf.' specs didnt give me that option. i most difenitely will try a.s.a.p. . thanks

Virtually all new WD IDE drives are NOT to be jumperd if they are alone on the IDE cable and it states so in the manual.

Thanks For Info. Bought Mine Thru Geeks. ...no Manuel Include .specs Came From Wd Site.

Just put both drives in and use the westerndigital drive utilities to copy the contents of the old drive to the new one. then you can remove the old drive sience all data will be copied.

anyone tell this guy it will be luck to get xp to run on this machine
please read the requirement at microsoft website
I would stick with the W$K
I don't know about the WD utilitys but if you have problems with it try seagate discwizard utility will work with other drives
install the drive you want copy to on 2nd ide as slave
thats the middle of cable (closest to board)
follow instuctions on jumper for slave drive
boot to W2k like norm use the application to copy again follow the step by step instructions
shut dwn machine swap drives ,make sure you set jumpers
or not accordly
reboot

no more hard times?

thank you all for your responses to my post,but im off to new, better , & bigger quest.
in my possesion is a emachines t1855,celeron proccessor,82810/82810e chip.phoenix bios,128mbram,8ogb hdd, yes- the w.d. hdd, 3oow powersupply.
heres the thing, hard drive crashes, owner dumps,i receive, try to install ME using rescue disk(2 disk set), prior os before crash, pc keeps shutting down. i see hdd light blink then it restarts ,over & over & over,all night long. until it shuts itself off? i've pull the memory sticks out put back. swapped with other sticks. i must have too much time on my hands.... can someone help? :blush:

heres the thing, hard drive crashes, owner dumps,i receive,

what did you receive the hard drive or the computer? either way sounds like bad hardware issue.

hello,
received pc,removed old 2o gb hdd,replaced w/ 80 gb wd hdd. i have formatted & tested using western dig. software utilty. hdd is good, no errors.(did the test on another pc). installed hdd on emachine. set hard drive as master using cable select jumper settings. inserted disk 1 of setup disk. power on pc,cd rom light blinks.then steady for a few seconds,and then i might get a hdd activity light for a blink or two.repeadietly.

do you have win-xp cd?
set bios to boot from cd first (boot sequence)
insert xp cd in cd rom drive.
save your bios settings and let xp install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back