Harddrive upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danger_mouse

I looked at my C: yesterday and realised that i only had 13GB left, now i know its enough but i would like to get a bigger faster harddrive.

What i want to know is which is better IDE or SATA?? or is it worth buying a new 1 and running a new and a old 1 together, New 1 as Primany and the old 1 as a Slave?

I dont know much about it so please keep it simple :)

I have tryed just uninstalling some programs but i like to play alot of games lol

I dont know what harddrive i have at the moment, but my system is Intel P4 2.8GHz, with 1GB of ram!

CPU-Z tells me my mainboard is a Micro-Star Int. model Gamila/Giovani/Neon series.

Any help as soon as would be great :)

Thanks D_M

If your Motherboard supports Sata then get a sata drive. that leaves more IDE channels open for optical drives.

But should i get rid of my old 1 or just add a new 1?
It depends what you want to do with it. Some people transfer all their stuff from the old HDD to the new one (if its faster) purely to speed up access time, others reinstall it then take out the HDD, create partitions, and others just leave it as it is and just add it as storage etc. There's no rule in other words.

Although if you wish to have 2 hdds in one pc you need to check you have enough power and space to put it in there..

I have 4 Seagate drives installed in my system. Seagates DiscWizard utility will format and copy your "C" drives contents to your new drive. I would always use the faster drive as the "C" drive. DiscWizard will install any manufacturer's EIDE or SATA hard drives. If you go SATA, most motherboard only allow you to install 2 drives. My Antec Server case handles 4 IDE Hard drives, a CD/DVD burner and a DVD Rom. I do have room for a 5th drive. The power supply is an Antec 350 Watt, and it's about 2 years old

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back