Hardware or software problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 3 week old NEC ND2510A dual layer burner that is no longer reading any type of disk. Windows is still recognising the drive. If I try exploring any CD or DVD the explorer window shows the drive as empty. My dvd player is still reading disks fine. I have made no hardware or software changes. I am running windows XP.
Will this more likely be a hardware or software problem? Can a problem with the OS stop the NEC reading disks?

Originally posted by enner100
Will this more likely be a hardware or software problem? Can a problem with the OS stop the NEC reading disks?

It could be either.

A problem with the OS can cause just your CD / DVD burner to quit reading certain types of discs.

If you have Roxio Direct CD or Nero's InCD installed, these applications can cause problems with how Windows reads DVD and/or CDs. You may want to try uninstalling these applications (or simliar packet writing software) and see if that makes a difference.

Something I always do to eliminate the possibility of software problems is boot from a CD.. Like a Windows 2000 or XP CD. If it boots, then you know your drive works and Windows is to blame. If doesn't work, then your drive is most likely shot.

Of course, to do this, you'll need a bootable CD and you'll need to configure your computer to boot from your NEC drive. Most PCs are setup by default to boot from CD-ROM, so this may not be a problem for you. Just stick in the CD, reboot your computer and it should start the setup from the CD-ROM. Please keep in mind if you are using an XP/2000 disc, you will have to "press any key to begin setup" when prompted to begin setup. (which in itself is a good indication your CD-ROm is working properly).

And of course, don't finish the setup. ;) Just see if it reads the files or not.

Enner100, when you put a cd or dvd in it, do you hear it spin up? This happened to a friends DVD player and when I ripped it apart, there was a bit of a dust bunny covering the laser.....apparently not seeing anything, it wouldn't spin up. Once cleaning it thoroughly, all works well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back