Hardware timings?

Good evening, I recently purchased the game Starcraft 2, but I can play it for no more than 5 minutes before my PC crashes.

The crash - the screen seems to flicker black, and seems to flash in black triangles for a while, the mouse pointer goes fuzzy, the sound freezes and everything locks up. The only way out is to press the reset button on my PC. On one occasion is went to a BSOD but usually it is as I described.

I don't think it is an overheating problem as I monitored my temps and the GPU seems to be at approx 70C just before a crash, which I think is ok (?), the CPU is less than 60C. I also ran a memory diagnostics test which found no errors. In my event log I saw this message which is just before a crash-

The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video5
CMDre 00000001 000000c0 ff1fe202 00000004 00000084

The game developer support exhausted all their usual software troubleshooting steps and asked that I submit my full log from a program called CPU-Z. They said that it looked like there were some inconsistencies in my hardware timings, but they were pretty vague. I don't really know what they mean or how to resolve this!

My specs- Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0GHZ (factory overclocked to 4.0GHz- oddly, sometimes it boots up at 4GHz and other times at 3GHz... strange). Mainboard - ASUS P5N-D ACPI BIOS revision 0402 Graphics - Nvidia GeForce GTX280 RAM - 4GB (2x2) Corsair DDR2 PC2-6400 (400MHz)

I know my Nvidia driver is up to date. Any help would be much appreciated. This crash doesn't occur in any other more demanding games, although it did happen once in World of Warcraft (funnily enough a game by the same developer).

"factory overclocked to 4.0GHz"...
What exactly do you mean by this? When you over-clock the CPU, everything attached is over-clocked too. Set the CPU to it's nominal 3GHz and see if the game(s) still crash

Thanks for the response.

Hi. When I say factory overclocked I mean the company I purchased it from shipped it overclocked. It was advertised as such.

Anyway, I have now set it to the stock speed of 3.0GHz but still experienced the same crash.

I feared that would be the issue. Short of putting in a different video card, is there a test I can run to see if that is definately the problem?

Back