Have a question, need suggestions for updating current computer

HAVE A QUESTION NEED SOME SUGGESTIONS FOR UPDATING CURRENT COMPUTER:

What would you do to this computer to UPDATE it? I'm a power user & use this for work, photos, & videos. This is what it currently has:
Windows 10 Pro-64-bit
Intel i7 9700 @ 3.60GGz
32 GCB Ram (can update to 128GB)
ASRock Z390 Pro4 Motherboard
2077MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
1- SSD (2TB), 1-SSD(4TB), 2-4TB Seagate HDs
2 - LG Blue Ray Burners - Use for making weddings & sporting events.
10 - USB ports (6 behind the computer) 4 in front.
It's a good computer but a lot of the current programs don't work with Windows 11 and for some reason, Windows 11 slowed down the computer, so I went back to 10 Pro. Or would you buy a new case & start over? This computer cost $2,200 3 years ago.
I'm open to suggestions. My brother has an Apple & he says he has no issues. What would you do?

HAVE A QUESTION NEED SOME SUGGESTIONS FOR UPDATING CURRENT COMPUTER:

What would you do to this computer to UPDATE it? I'm a power user & use this for work, photos, & videos. This is what it currently has:
Windows 10 Pro-64-bit
Intel i7 9700 @ 3.60GGz
32 GCB Ram (can update to 128GB)
ASRock Z390 Pro4 Motherboard
2077MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
1- SSD (2TB), 1-SSD(4TB), 2-4TB Seagate HDs
2 - LG Blue Ray Burners - Use for making weddings & sporting events.
10 - USB ports (6 behind the computer) 4 in front.
It's a good computer but a lot of the current programs don't work with Windows 11 and for some reason, Windows 11 slowed down the computer, so I went back to 10 Pro. Or would you buy a new case & start over? This computer cost $2,200 3 years ago.
I'm open to suggestions. My brother has an Apple & he says he has no issues. What would you do?
Honestly, I see no reason to upgrade this PC at this time. You're using SSDs already, the i7-9700 is still a worthy CPU, you have tons of DDR4 RAM and the RTX 2060 should be fine for the photos and videos.

What is it that's making you want to upgrade? It sounds like nothing more than an itchy trigger finger (which I know all too well).

I suppose that if you want faster CPU rendering, then I'd recommend just these two pieces:

CPU: R9-5900X
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite

Nothing else you have would make even the slightest difference if you changed any of it. Use your existing RAM, drives, case, video card, PSU, etc.

Perhaps Kit01 needs a way to measure where he is at now and where he wants to go. When I build or design a system for a customer one of the websites I like to reference is CPUbenchmark.net

This website is a culmination of Passmark's Performance Test:

In fact.....why don't you go ahead and run that test over your system now. it will show you a score but it will more importantly show you where you stand compared to the rest of the world overall and in each category ...CPU/RAM/HDD/Graphics

So faster in each of those categories is going to help you to score higher. The test is heavily weighted to systems with a good graphics card and fast CPU so bear that in mind if you have fast everything and GT710 video card (like a $100 video card). You don't...but I'm 'jus sayin'.

OK back to the CPU results. Your CPU:

1645683998541.png

Your CPU is certainly not garbage. It's quite capable of another 5 years of duty for general use but to a power user. Yes, there is better. Let's look at the numbers. You can see 'Margin for error low', which just means that the sample size is now large enough to say 'we have seen this CPU and we know what it can do' (because many people that have that CPU have run this test). Lets look a the 'Single Thread Rating'. This number represents how most programs you use run and even many games (older games for sure) really rely on this number. When someone says 'I want a fast computer' this is the number I pay attention to. This is the number that is going to make a computer feel fast. Now that big orange number 13388 represents how much work a CPU can do. Think the browser with lots of tabs and Excel spreadsheets. This is where multi core and multi threaded really helps to boost that number.

So let's check out a current generation Intel I7 12700k (Alder Lake) CPU:

1645684515828.png

Single thread performance is up and the overall work this CPU Can do is more than double what you have now. No surprise there. Each couple of years speeds increase by large margins. One thing to consider is that these CPUs run pretty hot and you would/should consider a really good air cooler or a large sized All-in-One watercooler.

You might not know but AMD has been giving Intel a run for their money. In the same range you could look at:

1645684771397.png

They are much easier to keep cool and that can be a little advantage.

This should be enough info to give you a good start on things. There is a category of CPUs above this for Intel which is I9 and for AMD its Ryzen 9. Graphics-wise you could stick with your RTX 2060 or you could upgrade that too. The direct replacement is the RTX 3060 and upgrade to that is RTX 3070, RTX 3080 and RTX 3090 (the latter is overkill for your use case). There are also Ti version of those cards too.

When it comes to photography you can never have too much RAM so that is where I would go crazy. Lots of RAM (64GB or more) and fast SSD drives which would be NVMe M.2 SSD like the Western Digital Black. Great price/performance or a Samsung. Great reliability but a little costly. Read up on motherboard reviews. You want a board with great thermals (cooling) and great voltage regulator modules (VRMs). Better VRMs lead to more stable CPUs and RAM.

It makes my recent hardware look puny. As you have no money problems I'd check out what your brother is using and then go Apple.

Perhaps Kit01 needs a way to measure where he is at now and where he wants to go. When I build or design a system for a customer one of the websites I like to reference is CPUbenchmark.net

This website is a culmination of Passmark's Performance Test:

In fact.....why don't you go ahead and run that test over your system now. it will show you a score but it will more importantly show you where you stand compared to the rest of the world overall and in each category ...CPU/RAM/HDD/Graphics

So faster in each of those categories is going to help you to score higher. The test is heavily weighted to systems with a good graphics card and fast CPU so bear that in mind if you have fast everything and GT710 video card (like a $100 video card). You don't...but I'm 'jus sayin'.

OK back to the CPU results. Your CPU:

View attachment 88201

Your CPU is certainly not garbage. It's quite capable of another 5 years of duty for general use but to a power user. Yes, there is better. Let's look at the numbers. You can see 'Margin for error low', which just means that the sample size is now large enough to say 'we have seen this CPU and we know what it can do' (because many people that have that CPU have run this test). Lets look a the 'Single Thread Rating'. This number represents how most programs you use run and even many games (older games for sure) really rely on this number. When someone says 'I want a fast computer' this is the number I pay attention to. This is the number that is going to make a computer feel fast. Now that big orange number 13388 represents how much work a CPU can do. Think the browser with lots of tabs and Excel spreadsheets. This is where multi core and multi threaded really helps to boost that number.

So let's check out a current generation Intel I7 12700k (Alder Lake) CPU:

View attachment 88202

Single thread performance is up and the overall work this CPU Can do is more than double what you have now. No surprise there. Each couple of years speeds increase by large margins. One thing to consider is that these CPUs run pretty hot and you would/should consider a really good air cooler or a large sized All-in-One watercooler.

You might not know but AMD has been giving Intel a run for their money. In the same range you could look at:

View attachment 88203

They are much easier to keep cool and that can be a little advantage.

This should be enough info to give you a good start on things. There is a category of CPUs above this for Intel which is I9 and for AMD its Ryzen 9. Graphics-wise you could stick with your RTX 2060 or you could upgrade that too. The direct replacement is the RTX 3060 and upgrade to that is RTX 3070, RTX 3080 and RTX 3090 (the latter is overkill for your use case). There are also Ti version of those cards too.

When it comes to photography you can never have too much RAM so that is where I would go crazy. Lots of RAM (64GB or more) and fast SSD drives which would be NVMe M.2 SSD like the Western Digital Black. Great price/performance or a Samsung. Great reliability but a little costly. Read up on motherboard reviews. You want a board with great thermals (cooling) and great voltage regulator modules (VRMs). Better VRMs lead to more stable CPUs and RAM.
Yeah, that's why I wasn't sure why he wanted to upgrade at this time. I mean, if this is work being done at home, it's not large-scale so it's not like he's losing money if his computer takes a bit longer. The other thing of course is that while I agree that Passmark scores are pretty accurate, if he's doing videos and rendered images, it's the Cinebench scores that seem to matter most. Passmark is great as an all-around benchmark but his needs are pretty specific. I actually used to use Passmark to demonstrate to customers the value of quad-core CPUs over dual-cores in 2006 when I worked at Tiger Direct.

The reason that I recommended the R9-5900X is this:
CB20-1-o.png

Its average Passmark score is 39,486.

I honestly don't think that he needs to upgrade anything though. Video cards just aren't worth it at this time and his CPU is nice and solid. I think that he should wait another year because it's not really worth upgrading right now and he should be good for at least another year.

Avro:
Cinebench is a great way to sort out the rendering champs. Do you think video editing relies on multi core multi threaded CPUs? I don't have enough customers that are looking for video editing systems from me so I have not built any systems for that purpose. If we go render monster we could into Threadripper and really spend the man's money $$ =)

Avro:
Cinebench is a great way to sort out the rendering champs. Do you think video editing relies on multi core multi threaded CPUs? I don't have enough customers that are looking for video editing systems from me so I have not built any systems for that purpose. If we go render monster we could into Threadripper and really spend the man's money $$ =)
I was playing devil's advocate. If you read my first post, I don't believe that he needs to change anything. This is what I said to him first:
Honestly, I see no reason to upgrade this PC at this time. You're using SSDs already, the i7-9700 is still a worthy CPU, you have tons of DDR4 RAM and the RTX 2060 should be fine for the photos and videos.

What is it that's making you want to upgrade? It sounds like nothing more than an itchy trigger finger (which I know all too well).
I wasn't trying to get him to buy anything. I was just basically saying:
"If you're bound and determined to throw money away, you may as well throw it at this."

Back when I used to solve problems for people on Tom's, I would often tell people that they don't need to upgrade but when they have an itchy trigger finger, they just want to buy something. I've seen many poor noobs blow their money on video cards that would give them 120+fps but they were still using a 1080p 60Hz monitor. The card they already had was giving them a minimum of over 60fps but they wanted more in CS:GO, PUBG, Fortnite or whatever else the noobs tend to play. You tell them to get a faster monitor but they don't want to hear that, they want that shiny new video card. :laughing:

I at least wanted to make sure that if he was going to ignore my advice and throw money at something, at least it would be something beneficial instead of having no effect whatsoever on what they were doing.

Yeah, that's why I wasn't sure why he wanted to upgrade at this time. I mean, if this is work being done at home, it's not large-scale so it's not like he's losing money if his computer takes a bit longer. The other thing of course is that while I agree that Passmark scores are pretty accurate, if he's doing videos and rendered images, it's the Cinebench scores that seem to matter most. Passmark is great as an all-around benchmark but his needs are pretty specific. I actually used to use Passmark to demonstrate to customers the value of quad-core CPUs over dual-cores in 2006 when I worked at Tiger Direct.

The reason that I recommended the R9-5900X is this:
CB20-1-o.png

Its average Passmark score is 39,486.

I honestly don't think that he needs to upgrade anything though. Video cards just aren't worth it at this time and his CPU is nice and solid. I think that he should wait another year because it's not really worth upgrading right now and he should be good for at least another year.
https://www.amazon.com/Intel-i7-12700K-Desktop-Processor-Unlocked/dp/B09FXNVDBJ/
Intel Core i7-12700K $379.99

cinebench-multi.png

Back