Have an early look at Project Neon, Microsoft's upcoming Windows 10 UI update

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft is actively working on a user interface update for Windows 10 called Project Neon. We first heard about the update last November but now, we’ve got some visuals to share courtesy of the crew over at MSPoweruser.

Project Neon is said to largely focus on things like animations, simplicity and consistency, or as the publication notes, it essentially brings back Aero Glass from Windows 7 and mixes it with some Windows Phone 7 / 8 animation elements.

One new component, dubbed Acrylic, appears to be little more than selective background / sidebar / in-app blurring. It apparently works well with other effects, namely Conscious UI and Connected Animations. The latter effect is already in use in Microsoft’s Groove Music app for Windows Insiders where the size of an artist’s profile picture changes as you scroll.

Changes aren’t limited to the desktop, however, as Microsoft is also working in tweaks for 3D and HoloLens interactions. As seen below, the mouse cursor exhibits a subtle glow or background when hovering over navigation items.

MSPoweruser’s Mehedi Hassan said he’s seen a few video concepts of Project Neon and described some of the animations as being “stupendously smooth.” Then again, Hassan highlights the fact that these are early plans and concepts which could (and probably will) look difference once they make their way into a public build.

In the meantime, we’ve got the Redstone 2 (the Creators Update) to look forward to in April followed by Redstone 3 later this year.

Permalink to story.

This type of things really amaze me, there are so many "indie" companies that are able to make beautiful UI revamps and Microsoft is stuck with the one experience in which they work and work and never sum to anything close as nice.

Of course, it's all in the eye of the beholder, and I don't have an issue with the standard UI, yet it's not hard to see what other people are using/doing and makes you wonder.

This type of things really amaze me, there are so many "indie" companies that are able to make beautiful UI revamps and Microsoft is stuck with the one experience in which they work and work and never sum to anything close as nice.

Of course, it's all in the eye of the beholder, and I don't have an issue with the standard UI, yet it's not hard to see what other people are using/doing and makes you wonder.
There's nothing inherently wrong with the current UI, it works well enough and get the job done but it's certainly not appealing to the eyes, my eyes at least. I never thought I'd say it but this is one update from MS that I'm actually looking a little forward to. I wonder what other spyware and nasties they'll have lurking behind it though.

M$ can add presentation features to their OS all they want. I'm cool with that.
Just as long as it doesn't break stuff under the hood and it's flexible as to how far you can choose to apply it.

I'll believe it when I see it. At least with Classic Shell, I don't have to look at the metro blocks.
as long as they don't do something stupid like full screen again I have no problem with some blocks in the start menu. I actually find them easy to use after I arrange them how I like. I have 1 row of small icons (3 high 7 long) with a lot of the software I regularly use and a row with weather and messenger where I left the live tiles active to see the info there.
they can definitely improve the left side list.

This should shut up some of those people who are still in love with the Aero theme (for god knows what reason) :D

Sounds like it is only in their "metro" style apps... so, pointless for a lot of us who don't use those.

Oh and BTW, I like 7 Aero... Not only do I like it but I cant stand everything being white in 10. Especially in the new Office 2013 and 2016 suite, way too much white and they keep taking away our dark themes!

Is Microsoft maybe expending resources to make Windows 10 update work properly instead of borking the system due to a "successful" update? I suppose I can't complain too much, because fixing borked Windows 10 systems has made me some money.

Is Microsoft spending enough time and money to make Windows 10 more secure, never mind yet another potentially lame attempt at a fancier user interface? Aero, R.I.P. What kind of graphics will I need in my computer to run this pretty thing? As it is, Microsoft seems to be killing off graphics cards with less than 512MB running with Windows 10.

Is Microsoft gearing its development efforts to increase hardware churn after doing an acceptable job of slimming down Windows 10 a bit? YOU BET!

Back