Have The Quadcore Processors Dropped In Price?

Status
Not open for further replies.
well they dropped like almost half price on this one site. havn't seen it drop abnywhere else though

They Dropped, And Then.....

They went back up again. At least at Newegg. The Q6600 went from $300.00 back up to $375.00 when Newegg figured out that everybody wanted one.

oh wierd. if its for gaming then you don';t need since almost every game only supports single core anyways.

Most games wont support more than one core simultaneously. But all cores are still used. I.E ( First core gets to 100% rest of processing will move over to second core) That happens for a lot of application. Not all. Some use them simultaneously. But all games next year will support it. So..

Didou said:
You're highly optimistic.

I can't help it. People thought inten and amd were optimistic when they said in 2004 they were making dual core processors for 2005 release. I think it will happen, and I have read a lot and still am about the subject matter. Developing a game to support a quad core processor isn't that much further supporting 2 cores.

Its very handy for things like video editting. The g15 keyboard allows you to have your processor load viewable right before your eyes, and watching my dual core switch load over is very handy.
I really hope the price hasn't risen however, as Im saving up as quick as I can :p

It's true that multi-threaded code is meant to work on more than one core (be it two or more cores available) but it's not easy to multi-thread all kinds of code. Something very linear can be done easily (things such as encoding where it's the same instruction repeated over & over on a huge amount of data) but games are not so linear.

ID Software have had SMP code since Quake 3 & it's never worked properly. IMO, if someone like John Carmack is having a tough time getting it to work, it doesn't bode well for the rest of the industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back