Not open for further replies.
Here's my system:

Mobo- MSI P45 Neo2
RAM- 4 Gigs Corsair Dominator
Processor- Intel Core2Quad Q9300 @ 2.5GHz
GPU- Nvidia GeForce GTX 280
Sound- Creative SB X-Fi
OS- Windows Vista Ultimate (32bit)
(Let me know if you need to know any more.)

Here's my problem:

I built my own computer about 4 months ago and have had this problem from day 1. If I power down my computer, in order for it to boot back up I must clear the CMOS. Most of the time this doesn't even work. I'll clear it and start up only to look at a blank screen. Everything powers on just fine, only no display of any kind. I'll repeat this process once every ten minutes or so and eventually it will boot. I'll change nothing about what I do. Power on, no screen, power off, unplug power supply, clear CMOS, wait 10, power on again. That same process over and over again until it eventually works. Sometimes it takes an hour, sometimes a day. . I've updated all of my drivers, my bios, everything. I've cleared the CMOS via jumper and via the handy button on the back. I've changed my CMOS battery, dismantled and reassembled my entire computer, re-formatted my hard drive, flashed the bios, etc...My power supply is a massive 750w and should be able to handle my hardware no problem. When my computer does eventually boot, everything runs perfect. Besides getting it turn on, I have no other issues, what-so-ever. Does anyone have some suggestions or solutions that I haven't tried yet? Any help at all would be much appreciated...I really don't want to pay the Geek Squad $500 to come out here and tell me they have no idea what's wrong. Thanks again guys (and the possible gal or two). -Jansky

Yes, I've replaced the CMOS battery with the exact same type and I've also checked and replaced the CMOS jumpers. They are definitely in the right place as I've consulted the Technical Publication on the Mobo and verified the placement of the jumpers, and type of CMOS battery.

that's a weird one. I would try stripping it down to a minimal setup and see if that helps. I would also try a different power supply, maybe yours is flaky despite having plenty of power

Perhaps it's the RAM voltage. 1.8V is the motherboard default while that RAM wants 2.2V I believe. If you can get into the BIOS, try adjusting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back