Have XP on SATA Raid OK, added IDE now XP not start!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone please help with this problem.
I have XP installed on SATA RAID 0 disk. Everything works fine. The drive shows as Drive "C" and windows boots OK. I have another two Sata Drives configured as Raid 1, Drive "D" which I use for important Data.

I also have 1 DVD ROM and 1 DVD writer on my IDE channels.

The problem comes now I need more space for Video Editing. I decided to add another large IDE drive. (My Sata ports are all full). Each time I add an IDE drive it is detected perfectly by the bios but windows will not boot! The option in the bios is set to boot first from my Sata Drive "C" but when windows tries to start it says certain files are missing. If I change the bootup option to the new IDE drive it says No Operating System (That's expected)

I think the problem is something to do with my boot file on the SATA Raid "C". It says:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

I think when the IDE is added the rdisk changes number, But surely that should not happen otherwise how are you supposed to add disks!

Maybe I am on the wrong track, could someone please advice me what to do.
Thanks
Chris

Forgot to add:
If I remove the IDE drive the computer starts as normal. Until I put it back again.
Chris

You maybe reaching the PSU limits. If you disconnect your data SATA (Drive D), will it boot off the C drive with IDE connected?

Make sure the jumper on the IDE drive is set to slave.

No, It is definately not PSU limits. I have a Seasonic PSU that can cope with whatever I throw at it. The problem seems to be that whenever the IDE drive is added it starts to boot from the Raid then looks to the IDE for the XP system! But without the IDE in the computer carries on and boots as normal from the Raid drive.
Chris

try double checking your bios options. They vary so much from one bios to another that i cant pick one out, but check any that have to do with booting up, boot order, ide, sata, raid, any setting at all. Also double check with your mobo manual and look on the mobo mfgr website for FAQ's about this problem.

I imagine you should tell us what make and model mobo you are running, er, trying to run.

What mobo are you running? your problem is probably becasue your chipset can only run 6 devices, 4 sata and two ide or 4 ide and two sata.

I believe your problem is that your SATA and your IDE hdd's are interfering. It is generally not recomended to use SATA and IDE on the same system.

Although the MOBO may "technically" support both, things like this are mainly caused by "practicial" incompatibility.

Try the things people have psoted, if these don't work upgrade either hard drive. Both are quite cheap these days so it shouldnt be a huge investement.

Regards,

Korrupt

korrupt said:
I believe your problem is that your SATA and your IDE hdd's are interfering. It is generally not recomended to use SATA and IDE on the same system.

Although the MOBO may "technically" support both, things like this are mainly caused by "practicial" incompatibility.

Try the things people have psoted, if these don't work upgrade either hard drive. Both are quite cheap these days so it shouldnt be a huge investement.

Regards,

Korrupt
ah. Refreshing to see someone backing up my point about mixing SATA and IDE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back