Having a problem making my pc boot up with Gigabyte motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE: I solve the problem. The problem was that the motherboard had some glitches and I just bought the same motherboard and it fix the problem. Thanks alot for the informations on trying to figure out whats the problem with my computer.

I have a

Gigabyte GA-M55SLI-S4 NVIDIA® nForce™ 4 SLI
Socket AM2 ATX Motherboard

13-128-321-04.JPG

I always leave my Pc on all night and day and now just 3 days ago, when I left my Pc alone, doing nothing and go play my PS3 and came back, the screen was off while the PC is still on. When I go and try to move the mouse so the screen video could come up, it doesn't do nothing. When I try rebooting the computer, it have no boot and no video.

Leave my PC on all night and day and reboot my Pc was fine day by day. But I shut it off from time to time,hen I not using it to go somewhere.

Does anyone know whats the problem? Did I destroy my CPU or motherboard. I checked my CPU and it look like there is no problem with it. When I disconnect the power cable for my video card, I don't hear no beeping sound ( it suppose to beep ). Also taking off the ram and boot my pc again, still no beep sound.

The video card is ok because I put my 7900 GTX in my brother computer it show video. Is there something when the video card is always sitting on that one thing that say Gigabyte heat sink stuff. Don't it heat that thing up and mess up the motherboard? I also tried to reset the CMOS to default. I still doesn't boot up. So doesn't anyone know an answer for my problem? Thanks for reading this.

Hello and welcome to Techspot!

I'd say the prime suspect is your power supply. What make is it, and how many watts?

Can you test that PSU in another system (or test another PSU in your system)?

Yes I would have to agree with Don, Your PSU probably died out after ALL day & night usage ;)

That's why you have to turn off your computer :D

I have a Cooler master extreme power 600w PSU its a 20 + 4 pin board. ATX12v V2.01. I'm going to try to switch to my old PSU on my old computer. Thanks for the response.

Yeah try not to leave on your computer for 24/7 because your PSU can start to die and those things are like $150 so... you wouldnt want to buy another one ;)

If you want a PSU that can be left on 24/7, pick a PSU rated at 80% efficiency, and has 30 or more amps on the +3.3v rail. Pick a well know quality PSU.

I still can't find me a PSU that have 20 + 4 pin in my house. Are you sure its the PSU, even though the fan of the PSU is still working and looks like there is nothing wrong with it?

Of course I am not SURE. Without physically looking at your system and troubleshooting it there is no way to be sure. Like I said, it is the prime suspect at this point. All you can do is troubleshoot one part at a time.

ditto on the PSU. Hallmark sign of a PSU failure, but it could also be caused by another problem also. 95% chance it is a failed PSU.

I just tested a different PSU and still no boot no beep no video. Is there a way to tell if the CPU or motherboard is the problem? Any way to tell if the CPU is trash or motherboard?

I don't think it's the psu, by the sound of it he's still getting power to all his products, but the video card isn't working right at all. To me it sounds like the Video controller is not working correctly, or theres a loose connection. Try taking the video card out and put it in the other PCI-E port. If that doesn't work try using another PCI-E card.

zerocoolzz66 said:
I don't think it's the psu, by the sound of it he's still getting power to all his products, but the video card isn't working right at all. To me it sounds like the Video controller is not working correctly, or theres a loose connection. Try taking the video card out and put it in the other PCI-E port. If that doesn't work try using another PCI-E card.

Nope, I tested a different Video card that only work on PCI port and no luck. Its like a cheap card from my old HP computer. Suppose to work work but no for my computer that have this motherboard that I'm having problems with. 7900 GTX Video card works fine on the other computer, not mine.

Sounds like your motherboard is no good, but give PSU a try just for kicks, I have a feeling it's not your PSU, but hell it's worth a try.

zerocoolzz66 said:
Oh one question have you tried exchanging Ram? Ram does cause the video to not work correctly.

I already tested that method. No luck. I tested my brother

CORSAIR XMS 1GB

20-145-468-01.JPG

No video. I even remove the Memory to see if the motherboard beep. No sound. Still trying to figure out if it is motherboard 60% it sure and 40% it is CPU.

I don't have enough to buy a combo CPU + motherboard that is AM2 to see if one of those two will work to know the problem. I either try buying cheap motherboard or AM2 CPU . 50/50 chance one doesn't work, I'm screwed until I get enough money to get the over one.

Well the beeps part is probably from the System Panel, is your speaker connected? If not look for it in your motherboard manual.

zerocoolzz66 said:
Well the beeps part is probably from the System Panel, is your speaker connected? If not look for it in your motherboard manual.

Nope, nothing. Connected the speakers and turn on the PC and no sound. The manual is all like long beep and 1 beep. There is nothing that they say about no beep sound. But thanks for the help.

EDIT: Just saw your post above. Great news that you found the problem! How did you find it was the motherboard out of curiousity?

At this point, I'd strip down to the basics to help with the troubleshooting.

Remove your motherboard from the case and remove everything except the following:

1. CPU/heatsink
2. ONE stick of ram
3. Your graphics card

Then, with the motherboard beside your case, connect the following THREE power supply connections.
1. one connection to your graphics card
2. the 24 pin connector to the mobo
3. The 12vATX connector to the mobo

Next, connect your case's speaker wire to the motherboard.

Plug your monitor into the graphics card.

Plug your monitor and PSU in so they have power and use a screwdriver to quickly "short" the two pins that are normally connected to your case's power on switch.

Tell us the following:
1. What lights are lit up on your motherboard (led lights) before and after you short the two pins.
2. What fans start spinning
3. What shows up on your monitor
4. What beeps if any do you get.

As you have tested your PSU, ram, graphics card and all are working, if you are unable to boot into your bios with the above setup, you have narrowed it down to your CPU or motherboard.

DonNagual said:
EDIT: Just saw your post above. Great news that you found the problem! How did you find it was the motherboard out of curiousity?

At this point, I'd strip down to the basics to help with the troubleshooting.

Remove your motherboard from the case and remove everything except the following:

1. CPU/heatsink
2. ONE stick of ram
3. Your graphics card

Then, with the motherboard beside your case, connect the following THREE power supply connections.
1. one connection to your graphics card
2. the 24 pin connector to the mobo
3. The 12vATX connector to the mobo

Next, connect your case's speaker wire to the motherboard.

Plug your monitor into the graphics card.

Plug your monitor and PSU in so they have power and use a screwdriver to quickly "short" the two pins that are normally connected to your case's power on switch.

Tell us the following:
1. What lights are lit up on your motherboard (led lights) before and after you short the two pins.
2. What fans start spinning
3. What shows up on your monitor
4. What beeps if any do you get.

As you have tested your PSU, ram, graphics card and all are working, if you are unable to boot into your bios with the above setup, you have narrowed it down to your CPU or motherboard.

Found the problem. It was the motherboard. I bought a new motherboard and it works. Thanks for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back