Having problems upgrading Sony Vaio PCG-Z505Sx

Status
Not open for further replies.

A_DOG73

I have this old Sony Vaio(windows 98) and I was trying to put Windows xp on it. It Doesn't have a cd, floppy or anything. When I tried to plug in an external cd drive it needs drivers and the windows 98 cd. I cant get drivers on there and Don't have the windows 98 cd.

I took the hd out of the laptop and plugged it into my computer and I reformatted the drive. It's only 6gigs but I put windows xp on the drive and it runs on my computer just fine. When I plug it back in to the laptop I get a blue screen with this error:

stop: 0x0000007B (0xc0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

I know sony is proprietary and they don't want you upgrading anything(without help from their very expensive adaptors) but do you think i'm getting the error because the mobo doesn't support windows xp? I can't flash the bios because it doesn't have a cd or floppy drive. Is there anything I can do to get the drive to work?? Is it because I formatted as ntfs? Should I format as FAT 32?

Help much appreciated.

I would download and install a distribution of Linux on the PC in the same way as you installed XP.

Windows XP probably requires a BIOS update, but you should be able to use Linux.

It will not run on the laptop because installing XP on your other machine installed all the drivers including MBoard drivers for your other machine NOT the laptop drivers.

paatio. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back