Having problems with usb mouse. Stops working for short periods.

cableman

I have a Dell Precision T5400 desktop running windows 7 64 bit with a 128GB solid state drive for windows and main operating systems for fast boot up and a second sata II 500GB drive for storage, etc. This keeps my computer running fast, especially since it has dual quad core processors and 32GB of ram. The problem is that the mouse will sometimes freeze up and I can hear the little jingle that is played when an unknown usb device is plugged in and not recognized but I installed all the updated drivers when I installed windows. It is not the mouse since I have used several different ones, a few brand new and a few that I had for other computers. This problem is extremely aggravating and I am also afraid I could totally lose mouse capability. Could anyone please help me and tell me what to do to fix this problem. It is not the usb port on the computer, I have swapped out several different ones and the one I use at present; I could unplug the mouse and plug in a flash drive or any other usb device and it works fine. Please, I need help.

If I faced this, I would use View tab in Device Manager, set it to display hidden, then remove the mouse and all the USB devices and, finally, reboot so the system can rediscover what is really there.

After years of using a Logtech Notebook mouse, it became irregular in its actions and I elected to dump it in favor of a BT Targus mouse.

Tried all those steps and to my embarrassment I have found that the actual cords from the mice were bad. I only had to fiddle with the movement of the cords where they attach to the mouse and found the problem. I would not have normally missed that problem but I had 3 mice with the exact same problem. Thanks for your input on my problems. !!!!

There should be a hashtag just for this kind of thing...something like "me too"... wiring wears out at point of flex... so someday someone will work it out and there will be NO MORE FLEX.

There should be a hashtag just for this kind of thing...something like "me too"... wiring wears out at point of flex... so someday someone will work it out and there will be NO MORE FLEX.
Hi. They have worked it out. It's called wireless:D. Wow; three with the same problem.:'(

Back