TechSpot

Having the oddest computer problem ever..

By spurratica
Dec 18, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello everyone,

Thought i would try another forum in my attempt to solve my extremely odd problem.

I built a new PC a few weeks back and installed Windows 7 on it. Everything appeared to work fine initially. It wasnt until my computer was turned off overnight that the problem occured.

It seems if i leave my computer off(actually shutting down through windows, not sleep mode) for 5 hours or more it will not boot into windows. It will automatically restart on the first attempt to load and usually on the next start up i will get a blue error screen for a second and continue to reboot itself.

This error does not occur if my computer is off for any period up to 5 hours(roughly). Through troubleshooting i have found out if i just reset the power supply (flip the switch on the back on and off). It will boot into windows fine.

So this lead me to believe that this was a motherboard problem. Since the motherboard does have some minimal power when the system is off, it seemed like killing the power supply completely would de-engergize the board and clear what ever issue there was.

Well, i just received a replacement board after RMAing the old one. The problem still occurs...so i doubt its the motherboard. Here is a list of other things i have tried:

- swapped power supplies
    - swapped video cards
    - updated the bios
    - tested the ram in different slots and run memory check for errors on it.
    - reloaded windows 7 a few times (clean format and re-install)

I am really at a loss here. The only thing left is to replace the ram completely or the hard drive. Like i said, i tested the ram and i would rather not buy more ram. i have also tested my system under heavy load to try and fault it, but it runs fine no matter what i do. Just this one odd problem with a 5+ hour shut down.

Maybe some one here can shed some light, since mine has pretty much burnt out...
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,800   +158

Try resetting the motherboard bios to its default settings
  3. Dysfunction

Dysfunction TS Rookie

Maybe try updating Windows 7?
  4. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

He did already. Did you read the original post?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.