TechSpot

Having Trouble Loading a Disc?

By hxblitz
Dec 20, 2006
  1. If you are having problems loading any Disc (Scratched or not) on your Computer do the following: (Assuming the disc is clean)

How to Load a Disc if it dosnt auto play itself.
    (Hint) Be sure the Disc is inside the computer Before u do the following!
    1) Open Start Menu
    2) Go to My Computer
    3) Right Click DVD Drive (D: )
    4) Click Properties
    5) Go to Hardware
    6) Under the category Type, Highlight (Left Click) the one with the name DVD/CD-ROM
    7) Then Choose Properties under the Device Properties Title
    8) Go to the Columes Tab
    9) Click Populate, then click OK
    10) Exit out of all the windows and repeat steps 1-2
    11) Now you should be able to go onto the Disc by Double clicking the DVD Drive (D: )
    12) Enjoy!

All of these steps I personally wrote and tested on a Windows XP ( Home Edition). I hope this works for anyone who is having Disc Problems, Thanks Hxblitz.

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

They may be fine. Thank you for writing them up. But since you posted that message last December, we have tried them a great number of times in the shop. We have not had one success with the procedures you describe.

3. hxblitz

hxblitz TS Rookie Topic Starter

Well lets see, on my computer I use the DVD Drive (D: ) for step 3, you however my be using a different Drive, so check the others and do step 4 to 12 on each. Also, Step 11 might need some tweaking if u had to tweak step 3 :)

4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,929   +167

Better yet,

Step 1: Replace the CD/DVD drive...

This works very well too :)

5. hxblitz

hxblitz TS Rookie Topic Starter

Bumping this helpful thread up!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.