HD Data recovery?

By huck_finn
Aug 12, 2005
  1. Ok, so I did something really stupid. While trying to partition my new SATA drive with FDISK, I didn't recognize the partitions on my backup drive and deleted 2 of them. Most of the data I had backed up to DVD's but I lost alot of my programs that I install on my pcs.

All of my music is still there on the partition that I didn't delete... but is there a way to get the data from the deleted partitions? I didn't format them.

I'm not opposed to buying software to recover the data as long as it's under $100... the data isn't that important, but it was very useful.

I should add that it was on an NTFS partition
  2. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,569

i'd run a google search to find yourself something. just be careful with what you're doing, as with all downloaded software. your software should come from a trusted and established source, or you could be in for a world of hurt.
  3. Agent Ify

Agent Ify TS Rookie Posts: 25 meh friend

I have used file recovery software before.... im not sure if it works if you fdisk it tho
  4. huck_finn

huck_finn TS Rookie Topic Starter

I borrowed this software from one of my friends co-workers.... it did the trick. Easy to use too!! It sort of takes the mystery out of data recovery. (the ntfs one)

If you're curious, it basically scans the hard drive (120g took about 1hr 15min) and then displays all the files/folders on it and allows you to copy them to your main disk. It has to be installed on a working Windows drive, and the damaged drive installed as a 2nd or slave drive.

What a relief!!

EDIT: I just learned something else... I was looking at the hard drive with Partition Magic and there's an option in the menu to "Undelete". This effectively restores the deleted partition.

I learn something new every day and after this month, I should be Einstein!!
  5. lukeyu

lukeyu TS Rookie

partition recovery tool

I suggest you use Partition Table Doctor to resolve your
    problem.The software provides very useful functions:
    Backup partition table, Restore partition table, Rebuild
    partition table, undelete partition, Fix boot sector,
    rebuild mbr,etc.

First thing I recommend you download the demo version of
    Partition Table Doctor.( )

Run the program and select "Rebuild Partition Table",
    then choose "Interactive" mode.