HDD sent for RMA no reply

Mister_K

I have sent a HITACHI 1TB HDD for an RMA because it has broke down after around 5months of usage (give or take a month). This was 4 weeks ago and I have yet to receive a reply from them. When I try to call from UK firstly it was wrong number and secondly some old woman picked the phone up. I heard that Hitachi was bought by WD so I guess I should call WD?

Now when I have sent the HDD for RMA Iv put it in a Padded envelope which Hitachi said not to do and instead of writing RMA number 3x outside on the box I wrote it once or twice. I have also added a letter explaining the situation with address, email and other contact details yet no reply.

So what is going on? I guess I should email them, I need my damn 1TB HDD since iv only got 1TB F3 and 300GB WD external // 150 Seagate Barracuda :3

Any advice you could give me? Thanks in Advance.

Improper packaging is what may have led to this "unknown status" situation. I'm not sure how the postal services are in the UK, but here in the US - packages are NOT carefully handled - they get beat up, dropped, kicked, thrown etc. Whomever the carrier: FedEx, UPS, USPS, etc. I'm sure the package had a rough journey to it's destination. The fact that you put a hard drive (a precision magnetic instrument) inside a padded envelope, IF it actually got to the destination, most likely whatever was wrong with it, is now worse. IF they received it, I'm sure they rejected it simply b/c it was not in proper packaging and they don't want the liability. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I'd say you are out of luck. Go buy yourself a new hard drive at a local store, or online - and if miraculously the old drive shows up, great! If not, lesson learned.

I too think you are screwed.

HDDs are pretty tough and can take a lot of abuse when they aren't spinning. But companies put shipping restrictions, almost certainly so you can screw it up and then they won't have to eat the cost of a hard drive.

Its odd that the number you were given isn't valid. Look up numbers directly from the manufacturer's website in the future.

I too think you are screwed.

HDDs are pretty tough and can take a lot of abuse when they aren't spinning. But companies put shipping restrictions, almost certainly so you can screw it up and then they won't have to eat the cost of a hard drive.

Its odd that the number you were given isn't valid. Look up numbers directly from the manufacturer's website in the future.

Yeah, but I can't really complain £40 for 1TB is nice price. Seen Seagate 2TB for £85 which sounds fair (@ ebuyer). Will have to wait till price drop more for my backup / data drive, saving up for dual 520 SSDs for my new system.

Anywho

Back