HDTV Monitor Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigredmachine

I just bought a 32" 1080p (1920x1080) native Vizio LCD TV..when I hook it up to my computer I set the resolution at 1920x1080 60hz I am not able to see the whole screen on the TV. This is with my laptop monitor off and only using the TV. I am missing about a half inch of image on each border. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Im thinking about trying the hdmi output instead of the vga output and maybe playing around with refresh rates. Any ideas?
Thanks, Sid

The only reason i didnt try hdmi first is that I have a goofy hdmi port that sometimes doesnt keep the cable tight in there. I was also going to do use the tool in the nvidia control panel to move the borders but I want to ensure that im getting 1:1 pixel mapping

HDMI will be better, but I do not think your TV is 1080p. There are very few TVs under 40" that do 1080p. If a 32" tv could do 1080p a ton of computer users would buy them and use them as a monitor because they are way cheaper than monitors for that size.

Anyway, I'm almost positive your tv is a 720p unit, which means the max resolution you can run is 1366 x 768. It may accept a 1080p signal, but it can't display it.

For that matter, using HDMI is probably not going to make very much difference over VGA. There are a total of 1,049,088 pixels on that TV. A lot of people still run VGA on their 1280x1024 non-widescreen monitors over VGA and that has 1,310,720 pixels. My point is, if you really don't want to use HDMI you probably aren't missing too much. Sure it will look better, but the difference may not be worth the hassle if the cable keeps coming out.

Ok, then use HDMI because VGA at that res will look horrible if you can get it to display it.

I have a Sony Bravia 46", and it has a VGA in, I don't think it even allows you to run 1080p with VGA. So I run a DVI to HDMI cable to get 1080p. Maybe yours is similar.

I just had to switch the output refresh rate to 50hz instead of 60hz..dont know why that is. The vga looks fine to me but I will probably switch to hdmi. VGA cables can handle high resolutions, they are basically another form of component cables. Im pretty sure the max resolution it can do it 1080i if i'm not mistaken.
My next question is if I watch DVDs through my computer using WMC, is it upconverted or will it be native 480p?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back