Heat Sink and Mobo conflict.

By aznn3rd
Feb 11, 2007
  1. Recently I got a new motherboard and was installing it into my computer when I realized that while my CPU heat sink had screws, the mobo holes didn't have screw holes, but instead simply had holes meant for pins. My question is, should I buy a new heat sink or try to drill holes in the mobo and hang the heat sink on the new holes? Thanks in advance.
  2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

New motherboard always deserves a new heat sink and a quality fan. You should never have to consider doing anything to your motherboard which would void the warranty. A combo pgk of heatsink and fan, with thermal past, should cost you $12 to $25 depending on size, brand, and quality.
  3. foozy

foozy TS Rookie Posts: 139

Drilling holes into your motherboard rarely turns out good.

Just buy a new heatsink/fan - what CPU are you using, and are you overclocking?
  4. aznn3rd

aznn3rd TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 112

motherboard:GIGABYTE GA-8I945GZME-RH LGA 775 Intel 945GZ Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    CPU: Pentium4 630 (P) HT 3.0 GHz:
  5. aznn3rd

aznn3rd TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 112

can you guys help recommend some coolers to me? Thanks.
  6. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,233   +234

7. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Cooler Master, ThermalTake, Scythe Ninja, Spire Verticool II.
    I like the simplicity and the long fan life of the Cooler Master, unless you are ready to take the plunge into water cooled coolers.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.